Buying my first plastic tunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Manm
KG Regular

I have had my first allotment since May. The soil had been poisoned by the previous holder with a residual herbicide but slowly over the year I can see weeds growing where no weeds were growing and I have had a little success from growing squash and courgettes, beans, potatoes and pak choi. So now the next steps are planning, muck etc: but this winter I want a bit of fun and some continued inspiration as veg continues to grow into the colder period.
So I think I will buy a plastic tunnel.
PLEASE suggest the best one to buy based on effectiveness and value for money. THANK YOU.
richard p
KG Regular

get some price lists and get the biggest you can afford. when we got ours i went through the price lists working out the cost per square foot of the various sizes to find the most cost effective width and length.
Allan
KG Regular

The cheapest isn't necessarily the best vaue for money. If you can inspect actual tunnels you might avoid a waste of money. I would reckon Northern Polytunnels and First Tunnels know what they are doing. Both have good websites.
Allan
Iain
KG Regular

I bought from Northern. Their product is sound and substantially better than their instructions,their communications, and their organisation. I'd recommend First Tunnels- great website too.

Good luck,

I.
Allan
KG Regular

I have never had instructions for any tunnel or shed that were accurate and comprehesive. I remember in the Flowhouse (Northern) there were two possible ways to build the door. Mine came preassembled and, yoyu have guessed it, the opposite way to what was in the instructions. It meant dismantling the end of the structure and wangling it to fit the door.
On the mobile tunnels the ends of the plastic were tied to a thin metal rod in the ground which did not hold against the gales. Now replaced by a bucketful of concrete with the chain firmly fixed in it.There are more examples.
Allan
Manm
KG Regular

Thank you. It is only a cabbage height tunnel I want at the moment :oops: :roll: so door are out :( . But I do want the thing to last and, if it works, not have to buy another next year. It's a whole new skill having to assess the durability of plastic, quite alien, not like assessing cloth for instance.
richard p
KG Regular

i think all the above responses refered to full size walk in polytunnels, all you are referring to is a plastic covered hoop cloche. they are quite easy to make yourself from plastic water pipe hoops pushed into the ground covered with plastic damp proof membrane from the diy shop. the plastic will last several years but does need weighting down round the edges, soil, stones, plastic bottles full of water all work. you can use the same hoops covered with fleece during the warmer parts of the year.
Tigger
KG Regular

Manm - if you want that sort of tunnel, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone better than the company at Cannock. I'll post the details when I get home.
worldor
KG Regular

Try allplas.co.uk
they have a good tunnel reasonably priced
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic