Recipe Copyright ?

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Wellie
KG Regular

I'd really love to 'put this one to bed' as it were, if I may be so bold.

Can we really post up other chef/restaurant/cookbook recipes online?

Are we 'allowed' to??

There are so many beautiful seasonal recipes to be shared from all sources, and it would be just fantastic to do so, but surely these sources have rules and regulations.
Please could someone who knows 'for real' post up a reply ?

Happy Christmas.
Wellie
X
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I havent read any previous posting to this- it appers there have been some so forgive me if I am covering old ground. My suggestion would be that if the recipe is available online then we simply post the 'link' to it so saving a) a lot of unnecersary typing, b)any copyright rule - which are a little vague for the web. and c)keep the size of this forum down.
With recipes from printed sources - surely its simple enough to credit the recipes source at the end?
Wellie
KG Regular

I'll take that as a 'no' then Sue !!

I'm only still lighting a candle for this one because no-one has given me a sure enough answer that it's completely legally fine to publish someone else's latest creation on a forum like this to potentially loads of people when there are copyrights in existence.

I'll try and make enquiries elsewhere anyway, and if I learn anything of worth, I'll post back.
Thanks,
Wellie
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Wellie

I have it on good authority (not my own) that the legal position on copying recipes is that is does breach copyright law, irrespective of whether or not the author is credited.

In practice, I doubt authors would make a big deal of small scale copying. It is too widespread and fragmented, so is simply not worth it. After all, how many of us have copied recipes to friends or relatives without any idea of who the original author was anyway?

If you wish to follow the letter of, rather than the spirit of the law, then only post a link to a website recipe. In the case of a recipe contained in a book, seek permission from the author/publisher first.

Personally, I would still pass on a good recipe from a book and credit the author/chef. I have never heard of anyone being taken to court for passing on a recipe. There are no active groups pushing for such, that I am aware of either.

If this reply is insufficient, you can search for 'copyright law' in Google and that will produce the legal position for you. If you don't wish to wade through it all (who could blame you), then you can always call one of the contact numbers for further clarification.
Wellie
KG Regular

Chez, a big thank you for that.

Trousers and I are travelling to Co. Cork very soon to visit Dennis Cotter's infamous Vegetarian Restaurant, Cafe Paradiso, and I shall be sure to ask HIS permission, as his recipes are 'truly inspired'...

Thanks again,
Wellie
:D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic