Chemicals in the house?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Browsing our local department store today and in the gardening department noticed sulphur candles for disinfecting the greenhouse.
This got me wondering, what treatments are allowed nowadays in a domestic greenhouse?

More to the point what do other people find actually works?

I intend cleaning all the glass using a large pan sponge/scourer that the OH buys as bath cleaners, together with a Jeyes Fluid solution in a bucket.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

I use Jeyes to wash down the inside of my tunnel tents.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I don't disinfect at all and the only pest I have is red spider mite which I'm sure would return whether I disinfected or not. There are lots of spiders, though!
Don't forget if you disinfect you'll be killing the goodies as well as the baddies. :)
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
arthur e
KG Regular

Get yourself a power washer and a sowester, gets everything clean in no time.
richard p
KG Regular

peter, were you thinking of buying the sulphur candles because you need to cure a problem? or just because the store was selling them? personally i just clean the glass and plastic whan it gets a bit green to let the light in.
peter
KG Regular

Richard, no I was curious as to what was now available and for what purpose.
Sulphur candles did strike me as an iteresting solution, surely the sulphur burns and arrives as some sort of oxide?
I remember all sorts of ignitable tablets containing noxious chemicals from when my dad was able to use his greenhouse.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic