Hedgehog Family Wanted - Desres rent free, Free slugs!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

I am getting on really well with my new garden, the only thing missing is hedgehogs! Apart from the fleas we love to have them a-round (pun intended) and have a slug problem in our organic garden, I am willing and able to supply good shelter, suplemenatry feed, but apart from under the gate getting in might be a problem. I have a small dog, so entire garden is chain link fenced. But there is room under the gate for hedgehogs to come and go. How do I attract them in the first place? Or is there a rescue place that would like to release some here? Rural location, but 200 yards from B road. Any advice appreciated!
jopsy
KG Regular

theres a hedgehog hospital near us
they take in poorly hogs
http://www.pricklyballfarm.co.uk/Hedgehogs/
i wondered if there was anywhere near you that might do a similar thing and need to rehome them?
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Thankyou Jopsy,

I have just visited their site and left them a message, I am probably to far from them, but they may know of somewhere nearer to me that I can help, maybe with a release system? Co-incidently I am visiting in Buckfastleigh at the weekend, so will try and visit them whilst I am so close. Thankyou very much for the link. I will let you know how I get on! :)
jopsy
KG Regular

oh good!
hope they get back to you
buckfastleigh is nice! are you visiting the abbey-as the modern stained glass is fantastic there! also try the cakes in the cafe!!
jopsy
KG Regular

any luck ??
vivie veg
KG Regular

Little dog and hedgehog might not mix :cry:

Cat food - or now even special hedgehog food will entice them if they are near by, but they won't eat the slug then :roll:

Good luck with the hunt.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

No response from the hedgy hospital, yet. Did not go to Devon after all.

Re cat or hedgie food out, problem is my neighbour has cats, dont want to encourage them, as had problems with them soiling in veg patch already!

So maybe vegie viv you have hit on the reason 3 x cats plus my dog = no hedgehogs! We will have to see, if no luck I will go the nematode route in the spring. Strange no hedgehogs about though, our local farmer is organic, should be ideal?!
My only prejudice is prejudice
vivie veg
KG Regular

Try ducks for slug/snail and other grub hunting :D

(see avatar)
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

My husband is being very good about the chickens! He would not "wear" ducks, especially as by my own admittance they do make quite a mess. I used to have Indian Runner x Khaki Campbell. They are great fun and really are great egg layers. But not for me at the moment.

I would recommend them to anyone interested though, as long as you have gor plenty of room. The blackbirds and Song Thrushes do their best! Thanks for the idea. I have spotted a toad, so thats encouraging and he hope to put in a wildlife pond next year. :idea: Maybe we'll get some wild ducks, he wouldent be able to say no to them! Live in hope of hedgehogs though, its the first time ive been without them!
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that 2 nights ago we found a huge hedgehog at the bottom of our steps, obviously fattened up ready to hibernate. I had noticed a sudden decline in the slug population, so maybe that is why?! Spotted her again last night bottom of garden. We have built a shelter and covered the front in with branches, in case there is no-where else for her to go. Just hope rats dont decide its a nice place, because we intend to now leave it alone! Thankyou for your interest. :lol: :P
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear RAREBREDCHICK, just wondered, because it was huge and fat, why that should make you think it was a she. :shock: :D :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Well, becuase it was huge & fat! First assumed pregnant doh, then realised the time of year, already thinking of it as a she by then!

Do you think it might be an old he?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not sure, but as long as it's been eating lots of slugs i don't suppose it really matters. :wink:
Just glad you have now got a hedgehog. :D

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Yeah, exactly might be a big fat momma or a big old bloke who cares, so long as it does the necessary! Hope it stays and brings some friends too! Then we might find out which it is!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic