life in Brittany

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mags
KG Regular

We moved to Central Brittany two and a half years ago to a stone longere with nearly an acre of land. It had been uninhabited for twenty years and what was once garden had been reclaimed by gorse and bracken....
We arrived in April when the days were warm but the nights still carried a frost....not good when the house had no electric, water or septic tank and when evening entertainment was watching the mice running in and out of the stone walls in the sitting room, sometimes accompanied by a bat circling round your head!!!
Our priority was to start on the garden rather than the house renovation as leaving the garden would have had repercussions throughout the year...and having hired a rotovator and broken it within ten minutes we set about digging the garden by hand. A Citroen 2cv, motorbike and farming tools were amongst the bottles, shoes and other rubbish that we dug up as well as numerous stones, this being a granite area.
We brought quite a lot of seed with us from England which was duly planted, as were black and redcurrant bushes. I had thought that mangetout seed would be readily available in France but certainly in Central Brittany amongst the local population this had never been heard of!! Mangetout seed therefore has to be brought from England,as has parsnip and runner bean...
Speaking to a local the other day he was amazed at our runner beans (not grown in France) and how we cut off the harder sides berfore cutting them into strips before cooking...'the french bean is much quicker' was his comment. We have also introduced the locals to horse radish which they find has an interesting taste, but gave up with spring onions when, having given some to a neighbour, she proudly showed me where she'd planted them!
We haven't been able to find a french cooking apple, so have bought small old english variety apple trees which we are growing espalier fashion along the garden fence. We also have peaches, apricots, grapes and figs want to buy kiwi.
We have two greenhouses, bought much more cheaply in England, where we are growing the usual vegetables but also peanuts, grapes and melons... Although these can be grown outside, the glasshouse provides a better environment.
Water is expensive in France but as we don't have mains water but are reliant on a spring and well we don't have to economise....by the spring we grow watercress whilst in the wetter ground we have cranberries and blueberries...
Last year we had a problem with caterpillars but have since found a spray using bacillus thuringiensis
which is readily available and biologique but not apparently currently available in England. I am not sure why..
This year we have had problems with cabbage root fly despite using collars...perhaps it was because we made our collars out of blanket, it being difficult to get hold of carpet here as the French have wooden or tile floors!
The weather here is much the same as England but when the sun shines it is more intense...In the winter we have snow but it doesn't last long..
Most Breton people have their own vegetable patch which they tend with love and care, wearing clogs, whilst their footwear is different. They wear clogsand use wery different spades! Surplus vegetables are taken to the local shop where they are available free of charge, diversity of veg not being available in supermarkets.
Allotments are to be available next year in the village and I have been given the job of treasurer of the allotment society and have also been asked to assist with the school allotment.
mags.
lizzie
KG Regular

Wow, it sounds like a wonderful life you all leading out there Mags. I am envious but so pleased that you have found a way of life that brings you such joy. That's wonderful.

What was it like moving in with the neighbours? Were they helpful or not bothered. The reason I ask is that I knew someone who made a similar move to yourselves and the neighbours were quite agressive to them in the early few months. They're all great friends now but the first bit was made difficult.

I like the idea of sending your excess produce to the local shop to be given away. It saves wasting good food.

It sounds idyllic Mags. Fantastic
Lots of love

Lizzie
jopsy
KG Regular

hello
it sounds lovely!
i'm not jealous at all!
hope you enjoy the site! :D
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
mags
KG Regular

The neighbours are friendly and always wave when we pass....I have teabags in several french occupied houses as I don't drink coffee which is a real disadvantage here!!
Took 100 kilos of honey off our hives today so am quite pleased with myself....and then I made the christmas cake!Piglets are due next week so life is fun...
Runner beans still doing well...and courgettes started to slow up..thank goodness!!
Why doesn't England run compost along french lines..you can take all your garden rubbish to the dechetterie and then from Sep to May can fetch compost..free in area, though there is a small charge of 10 euros per cubic metre in some areas..?
Its good for putting on the garden to improve the soil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic