more on aubergines

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

fen not fen
KG Regular

Mine haven't fruited, but they are now dying. First the leaves go a mottled green and a bit limp, then they go brown and papery. If I didn't know better I'd think someone had attacked them with a flame weeder. I don't think it is spider mite as I can't see any sign of life. Does anyone have any ideas?
Wellie
KG Regular

Fen,

'Mottled'? Listen, I've had really good aubergine years, and I've had pretty poor ones.
THIS YEAR is SO pants it's unbelievable. Red Spider Mite has had virtually every square inch of my aubergine plants, and even plants I saw for sale in garden centres and nurseries (late, granted) were completely riddled. No 'sign of life' is ever normally recorded so you never know til it's too late, but THIS year, I witnessed the hatching of a HUGE colony with what can only be described as a childs' bug telescope, and it was a pretty awesome sight, given they're not even vaguely visible to the naked eye.

So if you can take YOUR aubergine loss on the chin this year, I will too, eh?!

Now that I've said that to make us feel better, I'm sure we'll be riddled with success stories, but I PROMISE you, each and every year is really very very different, and it is SO worth the effort.
Next year's going to be great, you'll see.
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
fen not fen
KG Regular

Thanks for the help. I'm not that bothered about the aubergines, but I'm very worried about my bumper crop of cucumbers that are currently paying the rent! I assume the little blighters will attack them too - if I raise the humidity could that stop the attack or is it too late?
Tigger
KG Regular

I'm growing white ones and stripey ones next year - only 'cos I got the seeds from Wyevale at a bargain price of 25p per packet. (See thread in Chatter.)

Mine have been very slow and very late this year, the only upside of which is we haven't been overwhelmed by them, as we were last year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic