Cavolo nero

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Malk
KG Regular

Brought some leaves home today and not sure what to do with them. Have a recipe for rebollito, but that's it.

Would they be nice in a summer veg minestrone? Any one have a recipe for that?
Welcome to Finland!!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Malk,
All these fancy names and this one had me fooled.
(not very hard to do I know!)
But for others in the same dilema Cavalo Negro is the posh name for Tuscan Black Cabbage.
If you outline the title and right mouse you have direct access to Google. (I have a Google bar on my computer so this may be a facility that comes with it.)
JB.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I grew it but tend to use it in the Autumn/winter along with dried Barlotta Beans in the classic Tuscan Bean Soup.

Never nice with the ribs removed and steamed or stir fried as well.

Not tried the ministrone but sounds very nice.

In a few weeks time I may be able to add more as about to head to Umbria for 2 weeks in the sun!

8)

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
sprout
KG Regular

My favourite (an italian recipe): Remove the ribs, steam lightly then whiz with a couple of tbs olive oil and a couple of cloves of garlic to a slurry. Pour over freshly cooked pasta, mix lightly, sprinkle on parmesan, and there you have it! I add a little chilli too :D
Malk
KG Regular

Sorry, used the italian names for Tuscan black cabbage and Tuscan bean soup, gearing up for my Italian class next week. I like the idea of them lightly braised. do you remove the ribs?
Welcome to Finland!!
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I started picking my Black Kale this week and here is a tasty recipe for it.

Inspired by the Kashmiri speciality of greens (Haak)otherwise known as collard greens or borekale (Brassica oleracea Acephala Group) fried in a little spice, chilli and garlic then stewed until soft.

Serves 4 Prep 10min cook 15min
400g tuscan kale - you can also use any leafy green such as: chard, spinach, tetragon, orache, malabar spinach, spring cabbage.
3 tbsp mustard or vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds (optional)
2-4 hot dried red chillis, sliced or 1/2-1 tsp cayenne powder
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garam marsala

Pick over and wash the greens cutting out any bad bits, shred finely and leave in a colander to drain. Heat the mustard oil in a wide pan until it starts to smoke then throw in the red chillis, cumin and mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop and the chillis turn dark, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft. Add the shredded greens and salt and a little water give it a good stir and cover. Cook for 10-15mins until greens are soft but still green, stir in the garam marsala.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic