Cures for aphids - not!!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

I've seen several websites recommend planting other plants to attract insects that would then help control aphids.

I already do this with Marigolds & Poached-Egg plants and it seems to work. Recently, I've noticed people recommend Tansy as another one of these, so I planted two next to my peas.

Here is what I found on the Tansy yesterday:

You've got to laugh haven't you! Of course in the meantime, the peas next to the Tansy haven't got a single aphid on them!!!
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
richard p
KG Regular

so the aphids prefer the tansy to the peas, its called a sacrificial crop, seems to be working well :)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I agree with Richard and a very valuable lesson to be learnt.
We should all be very appreciative for that information.
People sow Nasturtiums for the same reasons they attract Blackfly and all you have to do is squash the little buggers on the N. or destroy the part they are on meanwhile your crops are Ahpid free.
I would advise everybody to take note!
JB.
sprout
KG Regular

Couldn't agree more, I have beautiful nasturtiums all over the plot now, and they will be covered in blackfly soon - leaving the veggies alone. And hopefully giving the ladybirds a feast too. Having seen your pic of the Tansy, that goes on the shopping list for next year! :wink:
pillbug
KG Regular

Same thing here,sacrificial nastirtiums and still no blackfly on the broard beans.However I do remember being told that nastirtiums can slow the growth of some plants but can`t remember why or what..this is begining to sound like the failing memory thread. :?
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Colin,
I agree with Richard and a very valuable lesson to be learnt.

Yes, I don't really mind how it works, so long as it does.

What made me laugh was the advice that the flowers on Tansy attract the insects that eat the aphids (eg. Hoverflys etc). As it happens, there isn't a single flower on them yet, though the aphids don't seem to mind.

Given the choice, I think I'll try Nasturtiums next time, as it sounds like they're more attractive.
Colin
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
That just about exposes the Organic Myth about Lady Birds.
JB.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Don't let tansy seed it's as bad as lemon balm for getting you in a grip and never leaving!
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Colin,
That just about exposes the Organic Myth about Lady Birds.

Funny that. I thought ladybirds (and more importantly, their grubs) did eat aphids. Maybe what you mean is they don't eat enough to be useful?

What I have noticed on my peppers is that the ones next to Poached Egg plants in my greenhouse have quite a few Hoverfly grubs on them. These grubs are always on the planst that have aphids and usually on the pepper flowers (where the aphids gravitate).

I haven't had to spray any peppers in my greenhouse this year, even though aphids have come and gone quite a few times.

However it's not the same story for slugs & snails. Till I put pellets down, these little b**gers have ripped shreds out of the pepper leaves!
Colin
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Exactly that. It is well know that Lady Birds and especially their grubs will eat Aphids but you cannot rely on them being about at the time that you most need them. At one time on this forum we had we had Organic Practitioners who thought that Lady Birds were the only sure fire way to get rid of Aphids and rammed their point down everybodies throat until we were all sick.
Undoubtably they do help to eat the Aphids but to claim that they control the situation is grossly incorrect.
JB.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Mmmmm. When was that exactly Johnboy? I don't remember anyone ramming that point down anyone's throat exactly? Could you give a link to the thread?
There are a few organic methods of dealing with aphids. I don't recall anyone saying ladybirds were the only effective method.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Mmmmmm. Well Jenny I do remember but sadly at least two rehashes of the forum ago so not possible to direct you to the threads. I suppose it was all part and parcel of the Organic way of overstating their case which seems to be the norm. It was firmly held that Lady Birds would clear you of Aphipds and this was one of their pet examples of benecicial insects and was tied up with the non use of pesticides. Thankfully we do not have the same prevailing on the modern forum. Think and Act Pragmatically which could be organic if the scenario warrants it if not act otherwise. Before I get accused of getting a sore arse from riding my 'Hobby Horse' I shall bid you farewell and look forward to a clip round the ear from those 'Gorilla Arms' at Malvern Autumn Show.
I had Advance notice this week of the show. I do hope you can make it again please try as it was great to meet you at the Spring Show.
Sincerely, Johnboy.
pillbug
KG Regular

Ladybirds,what ladybirds?I have only seen 4 this year,thank god for the hoverflies.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I'm sure you remember too that I've been a member of this forum for at least as many years as yourself and I have no recollection of such a thread. What I do remember is a lot of mockery and villification of posters who espoused an 'organic' method of gardening, which only ended after a lengthy, heated discussion about it. I think we agreed that the 'Organic' industry shouldn't be equated with people who choose to garden 'organically'.
I hope to see you too at Malvern and be warned I have biceps like Schwartznegger. :twisted:
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

That was a lovely expression JB!! I'm sure you can get cream for that.

Unfortunately I'll admit to trying to use organic methods - I don't mind inorganic feeds, but aren't as keen on putting man-made pesticides on stuff I'm going to eat. Call me paranoid.

You are right though that there are never enough ladybirds around when the aphids are running rampant. Of course, their numbers then rise as the food supply become plentiful. Also, I wonder about the aphids on the Tansy at the top of this thread. Have the aphid numbers increased on the "sacrificial" plants I grew , because:
- They've been attracted there & would have infested my crops otherwise? or
- The Tansy has encouraged them to grow much more than my own ones
and they wouldn't otherwise have increased in number so much?

However I'm happy to give the natural remedies a go. I have had to resort to Derris on very persistent aphids, but only when the alternative was throwing away rare stuff (chillies from seed bought back from the West Indies, so expensive to replace!).

Time to climb off the horse - can you pass the cream?
Colin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic