Plums and aphids/whitefly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

My plum tree leaves looked white so I looked closer expecting to see some fungus or other but it is white with aphids and whitefly. It is only on one side of the tree and I'm not sure what to do about it. We don't use pesticides and it'd take a whole truck of ladybirds to move this lot.

Any suggestions?

There are a few saplings growing in between which need removing... it's an old unkempt orchard that we are gradually pruning back into shape.... so they are a little close together. Could this be the problem along with the humid weather?
Carole B.
KG Regular

I have trouble with aphids on an apple tree,the one close to a vigorous rambling rose so yes,I think the enclosed atmosphere of your scrubby bit in between the trees could be providing shelter and an aphid breeding ground.I find mine improves after I prune the rose back in a couple of weeks time and give the apple tree a summer prune,it opens the whole thing up and the birds seem to get in and have a go too.
Losos
KG Regular

Hi Myrkk.
We have an old orchard too (Almost ten years of complete neglet :( ) Whitefly, not to mention the green, brown & black variety :) are a big problem & I also found that nearby scrub & other very old trees were a source.
This only became evident to me when I noticed that those new trees I planted which were close to scrub / old trees were the worst effected.
I don't like using chemicals either but I did use a hand sprayer with a weak mixture & it did clear a lot of them.
Regards
vivie veg
KG Regular

Encourage sparrows and tits into your garden by giving a helping hand over winter (nest boxes are needed then to help the birds keep warm). obviously a bird will eat more than a Ladybird. It may take a little time for the birds to find your aphid delight, but once they do they will keep it clear.

I noticed a cheeky sparrow hopping around my greenhouse the other morning. No damage done to the plants, but she was checking under all the leaves for anything edible.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic