What to plant & when!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mrsnesbitt
KG Regular

I dont want to re-invent the wheel.........
doeseg somebody have a planting plan for the vep plot & greenhouse.
Thanks
Dx
vivie veg
KG Regular

Try this site

http://www.organicplants.co.uk/croppingplan.htm

It is designed to use their supplied packs of young plants..but you can always grow your own or get local plants

Also 'How to grow more vegetables(and fruit, nuts, grains and other crops) by John Jeavons' It is American, quite conplex in places, but gives an almost 'idiots guide' to growing a plot for a single person or a family of four. E.g. 'As early as possible in spring plant (optional) One bare rooted fruit tree. 6 weeks before last frost start seedlings in flats, 4 seeds head lettuce, 8 seeds leaf lettuce and 2 seeds parsley. 5 weeks before last frost start seedlings in flat, 58 seeds carrots, prick out Head lettuce and leaft lettuce (stagger planting for a more continuous harvest) It continues in this fashion for a whole year. Unfortunately you have to translate from American into English...The ISBN is 1-58008-233-5 your libruary might have a copy.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
sprout
KG Regular

I can recommend the John Jeavons book - quite a lot of it is taken up with useful tables regarding nutrients, quantities, and what to plant after what - if you like that sort of thing (I do!) :oops: :wink:
Allan
KG Regular

Another one
www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/veg_planner.asp
None of them are totally accurate or comprehensive.
Info on seed packets and in catalogues is also helpful in building your own databank.
allan
sprout
KG Regular

Agree with Allan, your own databank is the best, but it could be the loving work of years! :roll:
In the early days you might find http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/index.htm very helpful for reference - the frost date calculator was spot on for my area.
Allan
KG Regular

I've got my information sort of together in a portable file. A lot of it is ex-Joy Larcom's book on vegetable gardening, she is about the best around on the less known salads which are wanted over winter, such as the orientals. When it comes to growing in polytunnels you are much more on your own, but as a rough guide they extend the season about a month each way on the commonplace, however many subjects which are dodgy outside romp through easily in a tunnel. I am thinking of salad onions, baby carrots, broad beans, spring cabbage and kales, there are others. in the herbs chervil seems good for winter, it certainly doesn't like heat. Pak Choi comes into its own in autumn and spring and with a very short growing cycle it doesn't get in the way for long. Others are rocket and polycress.
We are now doing radish exclusively in fishboxes, I timed the latest at exactly a calendar month, then clear and re-sow.
Allan
MrsL
KG Regular

Is that polystyrene fish boxes? I'veg rown some good carrots in them over time. Good idea for witner growing in the greenhouse. My watermelons are currently luxuriating in a large one in the chilli house.............
mrsnesbitt
KG Regular

Lots of info there folks thanks.
I keep a log in my blog if anybody is interested.
http://mrsnesbittsplace.blogspot.com/
Dx
Allan
KG Regular

"Is that polystyrene fish boxes?"
The very same. Regular or large (salmon)size. See local friendly chippy or other takeaway shop. They are free but rather unpleasant to clean before usable.
Allan
MrsL
KG Regular

I get as many as I want from the pub across the road (along with ltos of other useful things); they contain iced broccoli, etc for the kitchen. they arrive on my doorstep full of goodies for the chickens and ducks and compost heaps!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic