Mulch madness

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sprout
KG Regular

Right, two splashes of rain in six weeks and none forecast for the rest of the month.
Do NOT want to water the plot - nor have plants expiring.
Answer (I hope) - mulch, mulch, mulch. It's got to the stage where I can't bear to see a scrap of bare earth on the plot! Some mulching efforts to date, if only I had grass cuttings they'd be on there too.

New plot acquired in December, squash through black plastic (straw paths):

Scorzonera and other winter roots, leaves from last year, and an old shower curtain keeping bare soil moist waiting for salsify plugs to go in shortly:

Newly planted out leeks, leaves again:

Bean bed, spent hops and a few leaves:

Beans, tomatoes and jerusalem artichokes in straw:

Good news - the council have just delivered a pile of wood chippings. I'll put these on the paths to bring them up to the level of the beds to minimise evaporation from the sides and ends, then re-cover with straw. That should show this pesky weather :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Gosh sprout, thats mighty impessive, i thought i had done well putting ten barrow loads of leaf mould between my runner beans. But compared to your efforts, i look quite an apprentice. :wink:
I'm sure it makes a huge difference to water loss though, so it should pay you dividends. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
sprout
KG Regular

Praise indeed OH :oops: :oops: Thank you kindly :D and what I wouldn't give for 10 barrowloads of leafmould right now :lol:
Was put off for a while by the regulars predicting weeds, slugs, rot, disease, plague and famine (well perhaps that's a bit OTT) but researched a bit and found Ruth Stout: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/sim ... ding/60401
This is experimental - just thought that extreme conditions called for extreme measures! I DO hope it turns out well :roll:
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Sometimes the 'regulars' are a bit set in their ways. You've done a fantastic job. Wish I had access to all those materials. For me it's water, water, water. And it's never as good as a good downpour. :(
Weed
KG Regular

I am not sure what part of the East Midlands Jenny is in but we haven't seen any rain for weeks although apparently it rained in Market Harborough last week....about eight miles away.

It always misses us..... I have restricted my watering to any new stuff planted out and I am surprised stuff is growing as well as it is
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Allan
KG Regular

Whenever I have heard the 'experts' discussing mulching they say never to put it onto dry ground as it will stop any light rain doing any good. Can I take it that under the present shortage of rain you apply water before you lay the mulch. Actually my ground is reasonably damp at an inch or so but my soil isn't average and we had 2 inches of rain in 1 day at the farm not long ago, very local to us.
Allan
sprout
KG Regular

Hi Allan, yes I heard the mulching rule described as something like 'mulch when the soil is in the condition you want it' i.e. moist. With the little leeks and seedling winter roots I watered the bed the day before mulching, their roots will only just be getting established. When I scrobbled in the soil under the more mature beans, it was moist an inch or so down like yours, so mulched anyway. I figured if we're in for a fortnight without rain, the soil is better mulched than bare, dry or not! So I agree the ideal is to water beforehand, but with limited time on the plot, I prioritised the babies' beds :wink:
Weed, the rain goes 'around' Peterborough too :(
Thank you for the encouragement Jenny :D
richard p
KG Regular

had some aussie relations over last month, their veg patch ( melbourne)is permenantly mulched with 4 inches or so of straw, both for water retention and weed suppression.
sprout
KG Regular

That's reassuring richard! :shock: :D
peter
KG Regular

Sprout, having seen your photo's I just hope and pray that none of your neighbours smokes!

A forest fire would not have a patch on that lot going up. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sprout
KG Regular

Same thought keeps drifting into my mind peter :shock: :shock: I try to push it out again quick (gulp) and I'm praying too! :oops:

Added later: Peterborough City Council delivered two huge piles of woodchips :shock: :D - they'll go on the paths instead of the precious straw 8)
Last edited by sprout on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
peter
KG Regular

Would the mulch assist in cleaning grey water?

If so you could transport bath water and soak a bit of mulch at a time. Chantal (I think) mentioned about the old HUGE bucket mounted at its handle points on to the frame of a two wheel barrow, but what about the caravanners friend, the AquaRoll and its waster-water cousin? :idea:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sprout
KG Regular

Hmm, well it is barley straw, the pond-lover's favourite :D If you pipe grey water into the garden, there's sometimes a scummy area around the outlet, and I know someone who disguises the scum with a layer of straw :roll: If I had a garden rather than an allotment, I'd definitely give it a go :wink:
jane E
KG Regular

MY LEEKS ARE ABOUT THAT HIGH IN ROOT TRAINERS AND THEY NEED TO GO OUT. i WAS POSTPONING IT IN THIS HEAT BUT SEEING YOURS SURROUNDED BY LEAVES i THOUGHT - GIVE IT A GO ONE EVENING. i HAVE SEVERAL BAGS OF LEAVES.
sprout
KG Regular

Good luck with your leeklings, what a good idea to plant in the evening :)
I had to plant out in the morning, so rigged up a sunbonnet with fleece to keep them from flagging too much - will mulch properly in a few days when they have 'taken' 8)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic