ADORA TRIAL

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivie veg
KG Regular

I received 20 tubers of Adora potatoes from T & M as a 'free' gift when ordering Sarpo seed potatoes. I have just harvested the Adoras and here are my cultivation techniques and findings.

1) Planted 23rd March in 4x6ft plastic greenhouse (roof almost non-existant due to deteriation of plastic). Soil is very improved clay (years of Oak leaf mold) and duck compost, topped up with a nine inch layer of 2 year old horse compost, which the ducks had cleared of slugs etc before planting (see avatar). Seed potatoes had chitted (a bit too long) and planted in three rows of 6, with the 2 extras bunged in between the two rows at one end.
2) Fotunately no frost after this date to worry about or I would have use straw to cover them up. The door was kept shut until the end of April, Temperatures never got too high due to open roof, but was higher than being unprotected. During May the door was open most of the time and fencing put infront to stop the ducks charging in!
3) During June gave them a GOOD soaking twice when the top of the compost was looking rather dry. Keeping an eye on the flowers to decide when to check them. 17th June all the plants had flowers on and a quite a few had set fruits (they were doing better than my tomatoes!) So I dug up one plant. There were 3 tiny potatoes (thumbnail size) and 3 golf ball size, based on those I decided not to dig up the rest, but the 3 'golf balls' tasted OK.
4)2nd July, Lifted another plant and found 4 potatoes of reasonable size, so decided to lift the lot.

Most of the potatoes were of a good size, duck egg through to fist size and the total harvest was 4.5kg (10 lb)
The 20 original tubers weighed 0.9kg, so a five fold increase. I think this a reasonable harvest for a new potato :) However I am not overly impressed by the flavour...and they have a lot of shallow 'pimples' which I think someone refered to as 'blackheads' on the old forum, which I am now going to search to see if I can find the thread.

Having typed up these notes I realise that I had not fertilised these other than any nutrients left in the horse and duck muck, and I forgot to do a chemical test before planting. However plants seemed health enough, possibly a bit leggy.

Has anyone else grown this variety and what was your outcome? Any tips for future growing?
Last edited by vivie veg on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
mandylew
KG Regular

I got these too, but have had very poor results, probably due to

lazy planting, i just dug small holes and popped them in, usually i'll did a trench

didn't earth them up, i kept covering with straw and grass clippings

I didnt water them enough

I've only had 2-3 useable tubers from each plant (I only planted 5 as i had not much space) Taste was not remarkable at all, but i did notice they were not attacked by slugs, as is usually the case with my potatoes.

On reflection it was not just the adora, I think i'm going to give up on earlies in the ground and go for pots next year, as it is too cold and wet here to plant them early
mandy
Geoff
KG Regular

Can't believe you are happy with a yield like that. Rocket planted under cloche 11th of March now yielding 4lbs per root.
pillbug
KG Regular

We planted april 8,new raised beds,heavy clay,chicken manure pellets.We harvested saturday as the foliage looked dodgey and got 13kg,we thought this was poor until we read this thread.We did think the flavour was ok but why on gentle boiling do some retain their shape and some split and are more floury(same crop,same pan)? :?
vivie veg
KG Regular

Hi Geoff and Pillbug,

You obviously did better than me! How far apart did you plant? I think mine were a bit close (3 rows in four foot)...must try harder probably fertiliser would help, but due to the flavour I won't be trying Adora again.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
maryn

Wasn't too impressed with yield and flavour of them either...could possibly have had a better yield with better care and more conscientious earthing up. Had manured bed quite liberally last autumn, possibly a bit too generous, they did have lush foliage but not much in the way of tubers, 3-4 per plant. didn't find them particularly flavoursome, Ulster Chieftain which got exactly the same treatment, did much better and is positively sweet and yammy. Am still slightly bemused by the whole 'reduced carb-content' thing... Looking forward to the Sarpo lates though. Regards, Maryn
pillbug
KG Regular

We planted about 1 foot apart and rows at 18 inches,in retrospect a bit of extra mulching could have helped.We haven`t tried our other spuds yet.I think the low carb bit is to do with the GI diet,bit daft really since new spuds are best oozing with butter!
Chantal
KG Regular

Pillbug, try steaming them. :)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
doddy
KG Regular

I tried Adora & Accent from T&M as first earlies and I found Adora very dissapointing (and I paid for them!), same problem as others, pock marked, low yield, etc. The Accent however are superb in yield, quality and flavour. Regards Allan (Doddy)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic