Attracting solitary bees

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

You may remember I put a bee nesting box up in the garden to attract red mason bees. All was going very well until it was attacked by woodpeckers: I had to salvage what was left of the nesting tubes, and protect the 'box' with wire netting.
It doesn't look as though I'm going to get any more red mason bees this year, but a couple of tubes have been filled up by one of the leaf-cutting bees.
And a fascinating bit of trivia, gleaned from a nature book. The UK has one species of honey bee, 18 species of bumble bee, and 227 species of solitary bee.
vivie veg
KG Regular

I was tying in my tomaotes today and noticed a small wasp crawl into the end of a bamboo cane, fortunately not one of the large nasty wasps that attack you and your drinks at the BBQ, but what shall I do now? This was inside the polytunnel.
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
peter
KG Regular

Leave him/her bee. :twisted:

It will probably be a solitary, predatory wasp and hopefully will predate your pests.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
vivie veg
KG Regular

I plucked up the courage to look inside the bamboo cane today, no adult, just 2 grubs. I will leave them bee :?

I don't like killing anything unless absolutely necessary...like the horse flies that have had me twice this year already :evil:
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Wellie
KG Regular

Trousers and me watched a bee with great interest one evening. I have three pots of wild garlic growing under an old mangle, and the bee would come back from next door's garden with a bit of weeping willow leaf, folded, and take it into the pot from the bottom drainage hole. So I stopped watering the pot, just in case.....

About a fortnight later, a strawberry pot given over to Thyme plants grown from seed this year attracted a small solitary bee, who now regularly goes in and out.... I'm only watering when necessary, and as sparingly as I can.

Fascinating creatures.
Wellie
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic