Greenhouse staging

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sue
KG Regular

I want to build some staging to go down 1 long side of a 6 x 8 greenhouse, preferably with decent pot storage facilities underneath the bench.

All the stuff to buy just has a bottom shelf which you could stack pots on but there must be a better way :?

Anyone got any good ideas I could pinch ?

Thanks

Sue
Tigger
KG Regular

In the inner sanctum of one of my tunnels (my equivalent to a greenhouse until the OH finishes the conversion of our pig sty to a greenhouse - that's another story), I've got tiered staging that works well. There's 3 layers.

OH has put the narrowest narrow shelves near the top (obviously), then mid size and then a working height bench. All of these are the right width to use those robust black trays you see at the garden centres. There are various sizes available, so you can design the shelves around them and everything is kept tidy, secure and pots can sit in water if you want them to.

I don't store empty plant pots underneath because I prefer to use the light and heat to put big tubs of flowers and for overwintering Daturas, Geraniums, Fuschias, etc. However, you could make holding boxes for pots or use those big, square garden bags to keep them under control.
Allan
KG Regular

Don't despise simple shelving. These days you can pick up shallow plastic mesh trays that are widely used to send produce to market, free of charge. They are stackable and can help make the best of the shelving.
I have just ordered my fourth set of commercial greenhouse staging for the propogating house from Two Wests. not cheap but very durable and not much more expensive than the chreaper range. At least scan their catalogue for ideas, it's all on wwww.twowests.co.uk or ask for a copy if one hasn't already dropped from a magazine. Tel.0870 444 8277, advert regularly in TKG.
It's only too easy to fill a greenhouse with "essential" accessories and find that there is insufficient room left for the plants, even my 25 x 10 has to be cleared out regularly. Oh for a large storeshed.
Allan
Deb P
KG Regular

I use a very cheap aluminium frame designed to hold two stories of seed trays for a multitude of things. At the start of the season, I use it to hold seed trays full of seedlings, and use two of the four shelf plastic covered 'tents' to germinate/propergate in (cheapies from Aldi), all inside my unheated greenhouse. As things grow on, I put the four shelved units minus their plastic covers outside, one to hold rows of pots of strawberries, the other as a hardening off area. The aluminium frame gets two growbags underneath, with my cucumbers planted in pots on top, and I wind the growth through the frame, and up canes at the back to reach the greenhouse roof, where I've suspended further canes, ending up with a living canopy of cucumber leaves! I have also left two seed trays that I currently have big pepper plants in, sitting in the top of the frame, which maximises the space available.
I agree that Two Wests & Elliot's staging is fab, I have three two tiered units (birthday present from OH, good man!), top I have capillary matting on, bottom gravel, keep my mature pepper, chillis, seedlings on top, melons underneath. Works for me!
lizzie
KG Regular

Try knocking a few up from old pallets. It's free and you can make them so that they fold away for storage. This leaves room for the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc in the greenhouse.

Don't know about storing pots. I keep mine stacked in piles on the greenhouse floor or in the shed.

Not sure how to knock the pallets together but it's a fairly simple procedure. Use cheap hinges from a chandlers and you should get what you want for less than a fiver. Someone on here will be able to tell you how to do it :D
Lots of love

Lizzie
loznkate
KG Regular

Hi,

I used to keep a lot of 'gear' under the benches in my 10x6. The best use for a green house is growing stuff!

Having acquired an additional 8x6 I decided a sort out was required which ultimatley resulted in the installation of a cheap (£70) 6x4 shed. Small but perfect for storage of pots etc (and cheaper than staging for the new green house! Being wood its easy to put shelves up in the new shed.

The growing space is now fully utilised and I can't remember how I squeezed everything in last year!

Loz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic