Memory and Age

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Following on from JB and Allan commenting on memory and age on the "garden centres" thread, I was driving home from Piglet's and suddenly said

"Freda Payne"

now what was I trying to think of? Easy if you're a certain age... :lol:
Last edited by Chantal on Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
jopsy
KG Regular

I'm not yet of a certain age; but since I gave birth 15 months ago, I think I lost half of my brain, because I have to write reams of notes(more than usual) and leave 'post its' everywhere!
I think it's because I multitask and am a jack of all trades!
I have a home head and a school head-a bit like worzel gummidge!
Gosh what a sad picture I paint! :roll:
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Jude
KG Regular

'Band of Gold'?
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
poppyseed
KG Regular

oh dear, at the grand old age of 41 here are a couple of examples of my brain's latest inexplainable meanderings: 1. "Can you put the shoeshop back in the cupboard". 2. Opened the fridge to find my car keys alongside the cheese. As a student teacher I have caused much hilarity for getting kids names wrong on an embarrassingly regular basis. I really do think I'm ready for taking up solitary residence in my shed dependent on charitably donations from passers-by!
Compo
KG Regular

Jude is right - Band of Gold was a big hit for Freda Payne in the 1970's. Stress, depression, and any hormone changes can affect memory so not surprising people are struggling during different phases of their life. I wandered up and down the plot tonight, couldn't find anything, or where I had put anything else!! In the end I sat down in my chair, surveyed the plot and went home..........busy day at the office, my memory did not want anything else complex to deal with so it started to shut down without my permission, anyone else recognise the familiar pattern???
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Chantal
KG Regular

Exactly right Jude, I heard it on a car radio that had pulled alongside me at the traffic lights and nearly went daft trying to think who sang it. The answer came out of nowhere when I wasn't thinking about it some 4 hours later. :idea:

As for losing things on the allotment, I do this on a daily basis. Because we don't have sheds, if you want to leave anything there you have to "hide" it, which means a hoe between the rows of potatoes or in the runner beans; a fork planted in the Jerusalem artichokes etc etc. I tend to put things in a different place each time and can take ages to find them; sometimes I don't. For weeks. The good thing is that if I can't find them and I know they're there, then what chance does anyone else have. :)
Chantal

Geoff
KG Regular

Two blondes walked into a building.......
What we all need is a reliable reboot mechanism - does wonders for PC's so why not us?
Perhaps a good night's sleep or a holiday is supposed to do it.
I've always been intrigued by how you can recall things by not concentrating on them.
I finally topped my favourite IT support call today (the one where the HR lady wanted to make her Powerpoint presentation bigger so we had to move the projector further from the screen), it was Powerpoint again "Why can't I get a display on the screen?" - "Try switching the laptop on".
.....you'd have thought one of them would have seen it.
I must be bored - back to work!
lizzie
KG Regular

I have patches to help with my memory.

Just have to remember where I put the buggers!! :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Malk
KG Regular

Jopsy - glad to hear it's not only me, but worrying to hear that it's lasts. Six months pregnant and I can feel the wean sucking the brain cells right out of me. I have to struggle to remember things and am constantly doing silly things like get on the wrong train, show up for a job an hour early, forget to feed the cats (which they will not forgive) or add kidney beans to the chilli.

So far I have remembered things at the plot ok, it's just household and work things I'm fuzzy with. Shows where my priorities are at. :D
Welcome to Finland!!
peter
KG Regular

Geoff di you ever hear the one about the helpdesk guy who (allegedly) got the sack for saying what we (IT'rs) have all wanted to say at least once? 8)

Customer rings up, "My PC won't work".
Technician goes through all the normal stuff to no avail, with great customer skills and politeness.
Ends up "Well you'll have to send the PC back to us then, in order to do that I need you to read me the Serial Number off the manufacturers data-plate please?"
Customer, "I can't do that."
Technician, "Why"
Customer "Cos the lights are off."
Technician "Well put the phone down, switch the light on, come back and read me the number."
Customer "I can't do that."
Technician "Whys that?"
Customer. "Cos there's a power cut."
Technician "Well don't worry about that, just box the PC up, address it to Returns Dept, My-big-computer firm, Zip-code and under reason for return just write 'Because I'm too stupid to have a computer.', have a nice day now." :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sprout
KG Regular

Very nice Peter :D :D :D
Chantal
KG Regular

I used to have a boss, back in the early 80s when computers were pretty basic, who's first question, every time my computer crashed was "is it plugged in?" She'd look at the error message that was on the screen and ask the same question every damn time :shock:
Chantal

jopsy
KG Regular

Chantal my dh is a computer engineer, he'd say that was a 'user error' :lol:
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

left my 5 year old in the shop and only noticed when i was putting the shopping away and last sunday left the dog in llandudno and only noticed he wasnt in the car when i got to the tunnel,went all the way back and found the poor sod in the police station.my oldest is 20.the youngest 5,it dosnt improve with age :( oh and i also got the son back from the shop :D
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
jopsy
KG Regular

oh grock that made me smile!
poor dog!
and children! :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic