Is Growing Celery Worthwhile?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chez
KG Regular

Perhaps I should have asked this before we sowed the seed...I have just planted out our self-blanching celery (Greensleeves) and now have to start work on a trench for non self-blanching variety (Giant Pascal). It all seemed okay when I was reading about it, but now it needs doing before the weekend as we are going away, it seems such a pfaff. So, is it worth doing? And if not, is the self-blanching variety a good alternative? It appears the self-blanching variety isn't around when we would want it, i.e. for use in soups. And the trench-type really does seem like a lot of work. I know we will find out soon, but if anyone with any experience in growing celery can prep us for the outcome, that will be great.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

We were taught how to grow celery at the course I'm doing and by the end everyone in the class decided they wouldn't bother! It sounded a major hassle.
Diane
KG Regular

We grew it on our allotment - but wouldn't bother with it again.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
darrenc
KG Regular

I have put only 4 plants of trenching in this year cos i cocked up big style last year, didnt pinch out the suckers you see so i was left with a thicket of celery that couldnt be trenched. I have tasted allotment grown celery both trench and self blanching and it tastes a million miles better than the insipid rubbish that supermarkets peddle out
Tigger
KG Regular

I tried - failed - and am trying again...... Not optimistic though.
LakeView
KG Regular

I grow a self-blanching variety nearly every year and it grows well here in S'oxon. Plant in a block, and use 8-inch boards along the four outsides to shade. Water well every now and then. I tried a trench variety a few years ago and the slugs ate it faster than it could grow! Self-blanching isn't as white, but is green and crisp and great for cooking. I use it to make celery & onion stuffing at.... Thanksgiving, of course.
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks Darrenc and Lakeview - very helpful. It is really only for soups we want it, but OH mentioned he thought the self-blanching one didn't last through frost... just the time we are making soups and would want it(?) Do you get decent size stalks from the self-blanching? And suckers? Better watch for those.

Diane and Tigger, are you referring to the trenched or self-blanching celery? Tigger - what went wrong with yours and which type are you trying with again? We have decided we will risk not planting out the trenched variety until after the weekend now. But this is the year we want to give it a fair crack and then decide if it is really worth it year on year.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chez,
Back in the very bad winter of 1946/7 Ihad trench celery growing and the exposed tops simple rotted away and I thought that all was lost. Imagine my delight when I came to dig the ground at the beginning of April to find the most perfect, what can only be described as Chicons, under the surface totally unscathed and the most wonderful tasting Cerlery that I have ever grown. So if trenched and earthed properly, although the foliage might disappear the Celery doesent. When I say Chicons they were like very large Chicons of Chicory.
JB.
Diane
KG Regular

I grew the self blanching type - but it wasn't really - just came out a big green stringy lump of celery type plant. I tried earthing up some of it and putting cardboard around other celery plants (which really defeats the self blanching) but even this wasn't successful. Still ended up as a big green stringy etc. etc.

Will stick to beans and spinach - much easier.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Angi
KG Regular

Chez, if its only for soups have you thought about growing celeriac?
Allan
KG Regular

I have grown celery of both type on and off for some years.While the self-blanching e.g. Celebrity and Victoria,Giant Pascal, Lathom's self-blanching,can be quite nice and comes in earlier than the trench, for the ultimate in flavour when properly done, I go for Red Trench celery,there is nothing to beat it in the shops for real flavour and it is the hardiest, and whereas the self-blanching season is finished as soon as the frosts get at it you can be getting the trench ones until February. This year my first sowing did not germinate but by re-sowing I now have as many as I can cope with. I shall put it in a trench in a polytunnel in order to extend its growing season.
A number of seed merchants are down to 1 or no cultivars but don't let that put you off.
Cultivation hints, wrap in black plastic before earthing up, easier if you put it in a tube, wrap the plastic then slide the tube out, don't forget slug bait down the tube.
On the self-blanching, grow it in a square wth the runts round the outside, they won't be up to much but serve to help the blanch of the middle ones. Plenty of water and a liquid feed helps.
Allan
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks for all your thoughts and tips. I will go ahead, dig the trench (didn't get it done before going away!) - will see what I think at season end. Might just give Red Trench a go next year on your recommendation, Allan.

Angi, we grow celeriac too. I like to add celery to vegetable soup not only for the flavour but to give some green colour too. I use the leaves also and understand celeriac leaves are too strong to do this with(?).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic