Website slowness - Saturday 10th June

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KGAdmin
Site Admin

Hi All,

Apologies for the slowness or lack of service from our site and Forum between 3pm Saturday and 7:30pm - this was due to a heat issue at Globix HQ.
Ironic, as the very reason we moved providers was because our old hosters had terrible Air conditioning and was forever overheating - now it seems Globix have the same issue!

However, I have been assured by very worried sounding techies that this was unusual, and shouldn't happen again.

As a note it seems we escaped lucky as some machines overheated and died completely - it seems our servers escaped unharmed.

KGAdmin
jopsy
KG Regular

Oh thank you
I was blaming my laptop and telling DH to get it sorted! :?
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
peter
KG Regular

Been there, and got a certificate in "Optimal placing of desk fans through office from fire escape 1 to fire escape 2 via computer suite to achive some cooling." 8)
All windows sealed, apart from the fire escapes which had louvre windows. :roll:

In my IT job I have always found it an absolute bugger when air con starts to malfunction in any sort of computer suite, you build in spare capacity, then someone puts in more, or hotter kit, one unit goes and your safety margin has gone with it and so up goes the temperature and the likelyhood of another unit packing up under the strain.! :evil:

Added to which the heat outputs are going up again these days as the manufacturers are starting to pack more and more computers into a single rack (19" wide metal tower to hold IT stuff with space for wiring). In fact Computer weekly had an article about people under-filling racks because the localised heat output was too high, in the region of 3KW per rack :shock: :oops:

A nasty problem can then arise, cooked computers tned to go wrong, catastrophically, within the following three to six months. :roll:

Keep your haulms crossed Mr PH. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Everything is so slow this afternoon (Sunday 11th June) that I suspect they may still be having problems. The forum has two speeds for me right now, slow and stop. Took me 5 minutes to get the site to open at all!

Oh well, better go and do something else for a while. 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
John
KG Regular

Very, very slooooooooooo---oooooooooooooooow here too.
Reminds me of the original version of KG forum.

John
Chantal
KG Regular

Everything has speeded up here and seems to be back to normal, most of the time. :)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic