Nurseries & Gardens to recommend

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

jopsy
KG Regular

Today Lily and I went here

http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/

We've been before; they have knowledgable staff and the prices are reasonable

The cafe isn't too pricey either :D

Thumbs up from the Paylor-Sykes Family
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Jopsy, did you buy anything nice at the nursery
apart from a coffee and a huge slab of double chocolate cake. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
jopsy
KG Regular

I had my eye on a few things; but I couldn't carry anything because I was carrying a small hot wiggly child
I will have to take dh back! He can pay then too :D
I didn't have cake-I'm trying to lose weight :?
jopsy
KG Regular

We went to Cotehele today in Cornwall. It's a NT property. The gardens were absolutely beautiful. They also had lots of plants on sale. :D
sprout
KG Regular

I can recommend two great 'hidden' nurseries in the Fens, not too far from Wisbech. Might be a stretch with a small hot wiggly child (no cafe) :wink: but good prices, plenty of parking and blissed-out customers!

Delfland in Doddington near March (www.organicplants.co.uk), who grow organic plug plants for seed catalogues. If you go to their shop they sell all sorts of bedding plants and herbs, as well as their veggies. You can find the same brassica, lettuce, onion etc. plugs you see in e.g. Marshalls catalogue, but for 5p each :D

Chris Bowers and Sons (www.chrisbowers.co.uk), heirloom tomatoes, in Wimbotsham (near Downham Market). He will sell you tomato plants (by prior arrangement) at a sizeable discount if you collect. I called in at the end of the season for 24 label-less heirloom tom plants in a box for a fiver :shock: . He does a great range of herb plants and other veg too :D :D
Piglet
KG Regular

If your on the north Norfolk coast do try the Holkham Hall Nursery. It is closed this year for a major refurb but it propogates all of its own plants, many of which you can see planted in the walled garden. Quality plants at reasonable prices and no cake or coffee in sight.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
jopsy
KG Regular

More NT visiting today
We went to Coleton Fishacre, near Dartmouth
The gardens were stunning, cafe very good, views of the sea spectacular, and seeds for sale!
From the seeds I bought Dh has decided that we should share the packets and see who's grow best! :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Jopsy i think sabotage is the word that springs to mind. :wink:
Glad you had a great day, get out a bit don't you. :D

jopsy
KG Regular

Off to cost the earth Endsleigh (garden Centre) later, DH has family who live nearby.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Jopsy, has it been warm enough for you?
Did you get your way and spend a fortune at Endsleigh. :wink:
Is Lily coping with this hot weather, i know some little ones get really grumpy when it's this hot, i remember when i was that young i didn't like it. :wink:

Zena
KG Regular

Ok, someone's got to say it.......

can you really remember that far back,Herby?! :lol:
peat
KG Regular

when you get to a certain age it is easier to remember that far back than yesterday. Now what were we talking about?
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Pete,
Oh how right you are. I have grown literally thousands of plants as a propagator but something that I have grown thousands of I simply cannot recall the name when somebody asks. I was trying to tell somebody on Sunday at Piglets and it wasn't until I was driving home about six hours later that I shouted it out. The sad thing is that I have forgotten it again. So I shall be watching the football tonight and then yell out .....????.
However at the mention of Hampton Court on another thread I would like to recommend Hampton Court Gardens in Herefordshire. It is situated at Hope-under-Dinmore on the A417. It is well worth a visit and it includes a walled vegetable garden, wonderful grounds, country walks, small resturant and is reasonably priced as is the small plant nursery. The Nursery is also worthy of a visit.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

We visited the Hereford Hampton soon after it opened but were disappointed to realise that they saw fit to use a lot of energy to pump all that water round and round with a river at the bottom of the grounds. hey should thake a trip to Painshill Park, Cobham, Surrey to see how one can use water power to pump water and save the planet.
I haven't been back to see the vegetable garden.

Regarding memory and age, we get the effect, comparable to a pop-up toaster, the answer comes out when you least expect it.
Allan
Johnboy
KG Regular

Allan,
How nice of you to put a downer on probably the best open garden in our County. May I suggest that the normal person goes to see the garden do not pick holes in this and that. My thoughts are that if you cannot say something nice either keep silent or at least not nit pick. I feel sure that had it been anybody else who had mentioned Hampton Court you would have remained silent. This is typical of your behaviour and you wonder why every now and again you get a broadside from me. Beware another broadside imminent.
I can assure you that since they opened they have filled the gardens out and you will enjoy the whole place. I have visited twice and have thoroughly enjoyed my visits.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic