Chickens

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Just sharing what we have been told by our site Committee if anyone is unaware & keep chickens.

From the 1st October ALL chicken kept; regardless of number or location must be reported to Defra! Apparently you can submit now so all done before the mad rush. A company called Alpha are helping with the registration via Defra.

I find this a bit disturbing from 2 angles, which is how people with a couple of pet chickens in the garden are going to be monitored or even aware of this as nothing in the news. Secondly from my background & with the Covid scenario does this mean Bird Flu is also morphing? I certainly hope not as seen some wonderful re-establishment good stories about healthy wild birds returning to their old haunts & laying.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I keep 8 chickens I’ve not heard of this I will try and check up to see if it’s true or not we normally get notified of everything chicken wise but our allotment hasn’t got a secretary at present
robo
KG Regular

I believe you have to register your chickens with defra if you have more than 50
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I heard this is happening too…..it’s just meant to be for warning owners directly if there is an outbreak of bird flu
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Yes, I saw that Westi. It is correct Robo, it came out in our industry newsletter (veterinary). Anyone who keeps backyard chooks, regardless of numbers will now have to register with DEFRA. This is a change from the over 50 chooks rule. So even just one chook will see you having to register.

https://www.nfuonline.com/updates-and-i ... kept%20for).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic