Borrow rather than buy?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I just read on The Guardian's website an article about borrowing rather than buying. You know, do you need a whole toolbox full of kit for a one-off DIY job? A "library of things".
https://www.theguardian.com/money/artic ... save-money

I don't need to borrow anything. I have everything I might need, and duplicates in too many cases. (I don't want to live for any indefinite period without a food processor, for example, and I already have a terrific ice cream making machine.)

The article totally focused on how to borrow and nothing about how to lend. I wondered if I might set up a little 'lending library' of my own. I'd only put duplicates into it, not most of my really good kit. Damage, insurance, business in a residential area? It would have to be very informal. When we were first married (30 years ago) it was the norm to borrow things like glasses, etc, from the Club. Much later in a different country the Club frequently borrowed from us. :lol:

I now have loads of stuff, ie duplicates, and I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't really want to just give them away to the charity shop. They're probably worth quite a few bob.

Any ideas?
Westi
KG Regular

Could try Market Place or the 'Up North' equivalent? Was a time most areas had a local paper that you could place an ad in to sell without the risk of bad folk trying to suss your home security, but there are still genuine companies who will take stuff off your hands. You won't get near its worth from them but you will get something at least & have space! Our council are pretty anal with what they will allow at the tip & several genuine companies have popped up that will. When you settle have a browse through the sites in your area.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic