Collard greens

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Has anyone tried these? Apparently, they're very popular in the US and I've seen them mentioned in lots of cookery articles. They're not quite the same as kale or spring greens.
I saw some seeds for them, so bought a packet and have now sown some, so I can report back later in the year.
Westi
KG Regular

I tried them & not impressed, they are really tough, despite boiling for ages. I stick to the UK normal varieties now. Funnily I was chatting about them to the lady on the opposite plot after she declined my offer of some seedlings. She went to the US for a wedding & they were served as part of the menu. The US folk on her table weren't eating them either & one lady collected them into a plastic bag she had bought to dispose off on the way home so as not to insult the bride or the waiters. Must be an acquired taste! :)
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Oh blimey, thanks Westi! Forewarned is forearmed! In that case, I'm not sure that I will give the plot space to them. I prefer to lightly cook my greens and don't fancy anything that needs boiling to oblivion and back just to make it edible. There are so many delicious things to grow that I don't believe in growing things I won't eat. I love spring greens and kale, etc, so it's not as if I don't have alternative brassicas that I like.
Westi
KG Regular

Spring Greens are right in season now & really cheap. I got a huge bag with 3 in it for 65p from the orange supermarket. My own should be following soon, just waking up & growing strongly again. We are lucky with all our Brassica choices in the UK.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic