Garlic - softneck

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

I’m thinking I’ve messed up with my garlic. Planted them early January which was when I think they were to be planted, in an unheated stone building in root trainers, thought I’d try them since I had them. They’re looking great. I’m a little worried too great. The greenery is around 6inches tall and I need to plant them out into pots but I think putting them outside might kill them.
BTW, root trainers say they’ll make great footballs as the minute the roots hit the air they die back and you get a better rootball writhin the trainer. If I can post pics you’ll see this hasn’t happened.
I’m now concerned the bulbs will be stunted inside the trainer…. Will it be ok to plant them out under some cloches now?
IMG_0521.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 2485 times
IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 2485 times
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Myrkk!

They are very hardy & will be fine in pots but I would still find a sheltered spot, not so much for warmth but protection from strong wind. Mine were planted direct from clove Oct/Nov time & are all up, but one of the many storms took out the net cover which broke a lot of the leaves. I just left them & thought they were going to fail as the damaged leaves turned yellow but now there is fresh green growth so I I've trimmed off the scraggy bits & secured the netting better which is more protection from the birds being interested.

This year has not been too cold down here but I have had them covered in snow & in frozen soil before & they just got on with the growing when thawed.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

That’s good to hear Westi. Do you think I should trim the greenery back a little before I plant them out?
retropants
KG Regular

I wouldn’t. Just plonk them in and let them do their thing!
Westi
KG Regular

As retropants says, just leave them. Mine were damaged which is why I cut them.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

I believe garlic needs a spell of cold weather to separate the bulbs.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks Colin. I shall plant them outside this week under cloches. We’re supposed to get a real cold snap starting wed so hopefully that will help them separate but also protect the greenery a little.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Planted them out yesterday under the cloches and the temperature took a real dip last night. The roots on them are amazing. Quite liking these root trainers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic