Tesco vs Asda on prices

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

We live within easy walking distance of Asda so tend to buy a lot of stuff from there. But there's a big Tesco not very far away and it's en route to other places we go, eg it's next door to our self storage lockers.

I decided to do a quick online price check and was surprised to discover that Tesco beat Asda more often than not. I guess most people wouldn't want to get half a dozen items at this place and then half a dozen at that one, but it's maybe worth being aware of what place is better/cheaper for your usual basket of goods. I also find that these days Tesco often has a better choice of certain goods. That said, unless I make my own, Asda is hard to beat for bacon both on quality and price.

We have a new Lidl within walking distance too and that's pretty good for bread. M&S, relatively expensive, but good for cooked meats and cheese. Sainsbury's, yep, good for just about everything. Haven't price checked it yet.
Westi
KG Regular

Only a Tesco express near us, but not walking distance so don't use as lots of empty shelves so wasted journey. The Aldi store about 1 1/2miles in the complex is probably the worst place I've been in for having a coherent walk around, plus have to dodge things falling out of the central aisle offers & quite often rotten fruit & don't like the till staff who throw your food down. I use the £1 shop in the complex for garden, pet stuff & things like dishcloths & kitchen roll.

The nearest Sainsbury's is just across the bypass right by the allotment, but I am finding their quality is not as good as it used to be as they are focusing on the cheaper parts of their range due to the economic climate, but they have the full range if you want delivery but I like choosing my own. In the town, about a mile the other way we have a Waitrose & a M&S. I like both but use the M&S more as the underpass to the Waitrose stinks of wee & the buskers are a bit aggressive. M&S is only a small local but it's the one I would give 100% score to their staff for helpfulness as Mr can go in there on his mobility & if they spot him (& others of course), they allocate a staff member to help them reach things.

I am also lucky to have a Lidl even closer than these which I do use - deffo for their bread (really like the honey & wheat); & kinda addicted to their Brownies. It always seems a bit erratic in there I admit, but their offers are 'proper reductions' & I like the weekly change around of different offers from different European countries & the great range of seeds & stuff when it's spring & again they will help Mr. Asda has never got in the mix in my area, they tried many times with different sites but council said no to every proposal.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Aldi and lidel will beat the pair of them I use Aldi for most of my things the quality of their meat is the best I’ve come across
Colin2016
KG Regular

Has to be Tesco for regular shopping as thats the nearest. I use Lidl when I get £5 off voucher or planning to be in their town.
Lidl fresh veg is better & cheaper than Tesco.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What really annoys me about the big named supermarkets is, they always try and portray they are trying to help shoppers, when really it’s just a ploy to boost there profits….☹️
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I have to agree with that OH! Also annoying is their offers exclude a lot of folk who are really struggling as they have to apply for a loyalty card or load offers to their phone. That is the cheap phone they can only ring family on & no clue of other uses, although many don't have more than the basic phone or is one of the easy read large ones that they can't even fit in their pocket.

Last week I got an e-mail from Lidl for feedback out of the blue & brought this up with them as it is somewhat discrimination. Obvs went on a bit about our catchment area & age range, only Lidl in the area with the posh retirement community close by with the money to spend but excluded due to IT knowledge so being ripped off & the other side the council estate with folk just surviving on the state pension with just a free pendant alarm. I got 2 e-mails back, one the pre-recorded acknowledgement then another came asking whether they could contact me back when they review the demographics. Will see!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done for taking the time to respond to Lidl, Westi…..it goes to show the smaller supermarkets are prepared to look at things!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Good that Lidl took an interest shows they care, mostly you come across issues that when you report to company the don't care and it's impossible to make contact with some com.

Two examples...eon had pres 1 to leave a reading press 2 for something else mixed up should have been other way round... Tried to book an appointment on Halfords website got as far as mobile number, wouldn't accept being blank or landline or zeros. Call centre had same problem and asked if there was an neighbours I could use.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thinking about reaching stuff, especially on the top shelf, I'm just not tall enough. I sometimes try to hoik it off with my walking stick and catch it on the way down. I'm a pretty good catch. But often I can't quite manage with the stick, and I don't do it if there's any risk of damaging anything.

Invariably a knight in shining armour immediately appears to offer assistance. Not staff, just a kind man who is also a customer. It usually is a man - and quite often I see that he was sent by his female companion. (I would have said 'wife' but we know how upsetting it can be to assume relationships. You know, the "Pop your Mum over there" thing.)

Of course there's good and bad everywhere but I think mostly people are very kind. It helps to be respectful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic