Jack Hargreaves to return to Talking Pictures

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Cider Boys
KG Regular

At last some good news regarding a true countryside programme from the knowledgeable Jack Hargreaves, to be shown from 5th February at 6.30 pm, on Talking Pictures.

https://www.oldtimereview.co.uk/out-of- ... -pictures/

He told it largely unscripted, with no irritating background muzak, as it truly was with no sentimentality or greenwash bias from modern presenters with their political crusades. He lived in and respected the countryside with all its history. When fishing he would just bash a trout on the head and when rabbiting would nonchalantly break a rabbits neck with no drama or apology, he just showed country life it as it was, a true countryman. He also kept a rather good country kitchen garden. I used to eagerly wait for his programmes in the 60s and will look forward to seeing some of the many he made again.

R.I.P. Jack Hargreaves

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

Not heard of him Barney, but I do soo prefer these older shows about people who learnt their skills through ongoing experience. I've made a note of this to watch.
Westi
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well Westie, Jack lived in Dorset and was a legend to people interested in the countryside. My workmates and I used to spend our lunch times talking about his latest programme; we were all country people interested in fishing, hunting, shooting and farming. He was also a knowledgeable man on horses/ponies and carts. You will probably find the programmes slow and with no frills, however you will certainly learn a great deal about our rural past. His many programmes were a series of 'Out of Town' and 'Old Country', however I will await in anticipation of what they have found for Talking Pictures.

I often speak about Jack to my neighbours who keep horses and drive pony and traps but they also have never heard of him, I guess it is because I am of certain age that I remember him so fondly.

Incidentally, I have enjoyed the Dixon of Dock Green re-runs, do you remember him?

Best wishes

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I used to watch Out of town, when I was a lad, Barney, and I loved everything about the programme….
I remember wishing he lived near me, so I could have learnt so much from him!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well done oldherbaceous, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who remembered Jack Hargreaves. Don't forget to tune in and relive the times when you were a lad enjoying our rural past.

Best wishes

Barney
Clive.
KG Regular

I think the first time I saw a nylon line strimmer was when Jack H' demonstrated one on his programmes..

His programmes were regularly viewed here :)

C.
retropants
KG Regular

We used to watch him too 😊
Westi
KG Regular

I didn't come over until the late 80's so all of these are foreign to me Barney. But I am always interested in older practical shows; well except from that bossy dog trainer & that lady cook who was also a bit bossy.
Westi
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Oh Westie! You must be referring to my favourite pin-ups of the era, namely Barbara Woodhouse and Fanny Cradock.

If so they were certainly bossy, Barbara being plainly bossy but there was a little menace, in Fanny's bossiness.

You certainly did what you were told by these two.

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

That's them! Deffo old school headmistress in them. When I got my first dog I took her to training with a women who was obviously from the same school. Taz was a headstrong & very naughty springer puppy & she made an example of taking her to the front of the group to show she could control her! Taz just ran around her on the lead & only fast thinking from someone else saved her from injury. Consequently Taz was banned, but I found another group & she shone & was easily controlled, even by children who would beg to take her to the woods - she was good at catching eels in the lake & kids loved it, along with her pulling them along on their roller skates!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just waiting for it to get a little lighter, then i’m off digging…..had 5 hours at it yesterday!🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Now I have an earworm, the Old Country theme music......
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

When is he returning anybody know
peter
KG Regular

@robo See Barney's post that started this thread.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

I forgot it despite leaving myself notes! Is it available on any catch up stations?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic