Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Myrkk
KG Regular

It is sad that forums aren’t as popular as before, I think you get to know other members better and it is far easier to see the threads and follow them. On Faceache something gets posted then gets lost, as do the replies. Far prefer a forum.
However, younger people than me have grown up with the Faceache approach and even, dare I say it, the TikTok approach, everything is fast and disposable now.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i’ts rained all day, again today….been pottering about in the glasshouse but, I really wanted to get on with some of the ever mounting outside jobs…..maybe tomorrow!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Had my annual trailer load delivered on Saturday from the local Young Farmers charity Muck Haul. £50 to good causes and this year a huge pile of good stuff. Sunday and Monday I dug the only two beds that I intend to dig, one I call 3 legumes (sweet peas, broad beans, runner beans) and one for peas. Still lots left, I'll mulch the soft fruit and cover the no dig area for squashes, gourds and courgettes. Suspect I'll still have some left that will probably go in a compost bin for another day. Miserable drizzly day today spent in the polytunnel. Mixed lots of potting compost and potted up 228 sweet peas, 100 in tall pots (80 for us) and 128 in rootrainers for other people.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like you achieved a lot more than I did, Geoff!

vivienz
KG Regular

Afternoon all, popping my head around the KG door to say hello. I tried posting a while back, but the /remlins seemed to be having a party on the forum and only gremlins were allowed, so they didn't let me in.
I'm off for some quality time in the greenhouse this afternoon - I had a dumpy bag of compost delivered this morning, so I can get my raised beds topped up and seeds sown. My kitchen garden was a bit of a disaster last year due to eye problems, but I'm all fixed up now and looking forward to seeing the edibles coming up. On that note, best get on with it!
TTFN all, see you for a cuppa later.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How lovely to see you back on the forum, Vivienz….you really have been missed!
Sounds like you had a tough time of it last year, so hopefully this year will be a lot better….
Tea and buns, it is then….🙂

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Did you catch all that rain today, Geoff?

Clive.
KG Regular

Yesterday was depressing and dark. Grey with rain once again....however, having spread some riddled soil on a turf repair I had got some grass seed on just as the steady straight down rain commenced,...enough to wash it in without washing it away thankfully....so just maybe for once that was spot on....before a retreat indoors was made...again

We avoided rain today...just a few spits and spots and even some sunshine, middle of the day :) and the wind was once again drying things a little..enough that some quick late afternoon mowing was possible.

Arable fields all around are awash and so panned down that any new wet just sits atop...

C.
Westi
KG Regular

My new wire netting to dog proof the onions fitted into my rucksack so decided to do that little job & release some mesh covering for the other beds next on the sow/plant out list. I only weeded the onions about a month ago & all looking fine & hearty but two beds only had about 3 plants left. I for once can't blame slugs but certainly a large snail population. Fortunately I did a back up sow in a pot in the tunnel & was actually thinking where to plant them, but only one choice now! The other variety is standing well & much bigger thankfully.

Tomorrow is rain but Friday is just gusty though sunny, so looks like the tunnel will be next on the 'To Do' list. If a break in the rain I will try to weed the front garden at home, but still too wet to think of mowing it.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

I've sowed aubergine, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, carrots & cucumbers (the wrong ones, so I'll have to re-do them!) this week, and tomatoes next week if I have time. The first aubergine sowing from last month are up and strong - I've popped them under a grow light in the dining room, so they have half a chance, it's been so dark every day. It's on a 9 hour timer, meant for my baby houseplants, but managed to squeeze them in.

Nice to see you back on the forum Vivienz!
Geoff
KG Regular

Yes OH Wednesday was 39.4mm and we already have 15.2mm today but it does seem to be easing. Quite strange to have a couple of low flying Chinooks come out of the clouds and fly by just above eye level across the valley.
Clive.
KG Regular

Goodness, that really confirms that we are still the drier side of England..even though we are wetter than we can work with.

Our low flyer today was an A400 Atlas....I missed it....heard it whirring along...but as seems to be the norm' when something interesting goes by...I was in the loo.!

C.
Westi
KG Regular

The rain didn't come as expected but I didn't go down as it looked gloomy & likely to. Did some clearing out & just caught the charity bag pick up & they got more than expected as I tackled Mr's wardrobe, well some of it. It is role reversal at ours as Mr is the one who has all the clothes & shoes & just keeps everything. The charity will be happy as everything from small to XXL & this one was for Ukraine where they will be grateful for the 1980's leather coats when he had his Del Boy moment. ;)

It has been decided I can have Mr's back up mobility trike to get to the shops & allotment so my driving instruction starts on the weekend. It will save a lot of money as well; but odds on there will be some cussing. The back box will be upgraded to a bigger one for the dog as she is not bright enough to walk beside it safely, but she gets loads of exercise on the plot & the evening walks. It will also mean more storage for when I go shopping, so won't have to rely on taxi's home.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Clive, we had a plane of some sort, doing all sorts of things the other day….take it they were doing some testing on it!

Glad you are getting things sorted, Westi…

Westi
KG Regular

I noted a reference from one of the seed companies e-mails that 'official spring' starts on the 20th March. Just giving you a heads up OH! ;)

Mind I didn't know it had an official start date, just thought it was by month, but checked online & it does have a birthday!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic