Time Bomb !

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JesseRusso86
KG Regular

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me when is the latest i can sow my onions, garlic and broadbeans?? As from my last post the rain has yet not gone away. Is it too late now or can i sow them in January? :mrgreen:
Westi
KG Regular

Onion sets & garlic can be sown in individual pots now inside for planting out complete with soil intact when soil temp increases. Broad beans can be sown but likely to get a bit too leggy before soil is workable to plant on due to light levels. I sow broad beans at intervals through out the spring & summer & can pretty much get a harvest for several months.

I did sow some a couple of months ago which sulked & did nothing so I thought mice or rats ate the seeds but they did pop up, again just sitting for ages with a couple of leaves & then went crazy when the rain stopped & they got a bit of sunlight. I planted them out in the tunnel as felt they were acclimatised to it. Look OK but not hopeful as quite a bit of condensation in there so will probably succumb to mould of some sort.

Jesse, can you add to your profile a bit more generic info regarding the area you live in? It will help you focus on the answers given from other folk nearby experiencing your weather. I'm way south Dorset so generally milder, but of course good old Global warming is putting a spanner in the works currently!
Westi
JesseRusso86
KG Regular

Thank you so much i will update my profile,i live in Worthing, so pretty soggy down here currently arghh..anyhow i will put the onions garlic and broad beans once its dried out a bit and hope for the best haha thank you for the prompt response i appreciate it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic