Village idiots

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I grew up in a town so we had more that one idiot. They were allowed freedom of the place given that they were harmless, ie posed no danger to the community.

One was obsessed with scaffie wagons. (What's the English word for that? Dust cart?) He met an untimely end because the lorry ran over him. Oh dear.

Another one thought he was a bus and ran all their routes. But people liked him and took him on the supporters' bus to watch the local football team at away matches.

Another was the son of a very wealthy couple with a terrific business...

And there were some more.

Hey. I've just noticed it's all males. Were there never any mad females or maybe they were kept hidden or disposed of?
Westi
KG Regular

Strangely when I was a kid there were individuals that we were advised not to communicate with & to avoid. What wasn't known then of course was things like Dementia, Mental Health, Autism etc. One I did have contact with as I liked him, had shell shock from the war & I was the only person he communicated with, (read nodded to). It took me having an accident on my bike for him to actually speak to me. We left the country town & moved to the big smoke for my education staying in a permanent caravan site near the beach eventually & he was there as the cleaner & handy man, small world or just fate as he never spoke to anyone there either until I turned up.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s an amazing story, Westi, you must have made a huge difference in his life…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

"People can be teachers and idiots; they can be philosophers and idiots; they can be politicians and idiots ... in fact I think they have to be ... a genius can be an idiot. The world is largely run for and by idiots; it is no great handicap in life and in certain areas is actually a distinct advantage and even a pre-requisite for advancement."
from 'The Crow Road' by Iain Banks.
Stravaig
KG Regular

We watched the Crow Road when it first came out and liked it so much we bought half a dozen copies and sent them to friends around the world. Everyone loved it. Most couldn't stop watching until they'd seen the whole series. Staying up all night in several cases.

I'd thought that 'Crow Road' was maybe a Glaswegian saying for 'dead' but now I have a book called 'Secret Glasgow' I realise it's one of the defunct railway stations after the decline of railways. It's hugely interesting. Well, it is depending on what interests you.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Ah Westi. Reminds me of an article I read where in some cultures, neurodivergent people are thought of as special as they have a link to the world in a way we cannot.

When I worked in Cambridge there were quite a few people who had fallen through the cracks and one was an elderly gentleman with obvious mental health issues. I would chat to him for ages, he was so interesting. Seemingly George the 6th I think he said wasn’t dead, everyone thought he was but this chap was actually royalty and saw and chatted to him regularly. Regardless of the extent of his mental health challenges, he was interesting and because of his mental health the druggies on the street kept away from him so he led a very solitary life. It’s probably the thing that saved him from becoming an addict.

Everyone has their challenges and for most, the ability to be kind and accept others differences is the biggest one they face. Having said that I’d still like to chop the hands of the people who broke into my house and stole a load of stuff, understanding only goes so far lol

I did watch a video online where a young lad from the village I grew up in tried to set his underarm hair on fire and seemed surprised when it hurt… takes all sorts… but I did shake my head lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic