Sticky Willies aka Cleavers

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Our garden is absolutely full of these and they are sprouting quite well currently. They are edible so I thought I’d have a root around for some recipes to use them in given I’m going to try and pull most of them up.

Sticky Willie Water Recipe - not the most appealing name. Seems quite straightforward

A big handful of cleavers
1 glass pitcher of fresh cold water

Put the cleavers into the water, ensure it is fully submerged
Refrigerate overnight
Keep pitcher chilled
Use as required but within 24hrs.
Optional - ice, lemon, cucumber slices.

Good for a hangover and cleanses and stimulates the immune and lymphatic system.

I will let you know how this works out! Also found recipes for herb shots, a herb rice, salad (not sure about the texture for that use though). Who knew it was such a versatile little “weed”.
Westi
KG Regular

I always find it interesting what weeds can be used for eating, unfortunately I just can't get my head around them following trying nettle soup a friend made. It was not whizzed up so full of stringy bits & I pretty much convinced myself I would get stung in my mouth. Also as she is a non grower & my brain also went into that zone thinking where did she pick them?
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Only had nettle soup in a restaurant in Glasgow. It was nettle, sorrel and citrus if I remember correctly. Was lovely. But never plucked up the courage to make it myself for the same reason Westi. I’m convinced I’d mess it up and sting myself.

LOL, we made sure the cleavers were from a non-dog visited area of the garden. It tastes quite nice. I had a glass of it with some strawberries sliced in. It tastes light and a bit like cucumber water. Will definitely make it again.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I didn't know sticky willies are edible. Keen to try. But I've not seen any for years. Also didn't know that they're also called cleavers.

I'm also eager to try nettle soup and even went to the extent of buying nettle seeds. I suspect they're in our house in Kent, which we are still in the process of moving out of. :roll:

Urgh, the lumpy stringy soup sounds disgusting. I would blitz and then 'pass' it. Pass is this context doesn't mean ingesting it and the passing it out of the body. It means passing through a sieve or something similar. :D

I'm thinking it might be best to plant nettles in one of our large containers. We can take it with us when we move on and anyway we don't want to be planting 'weeds' in the landlord's garden.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic