Oh Deer

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Re wilding is in principle a very noble thing, I would love to be able to go to my local forest and film Wolves, Lynx, Bears and Wild Boar(I might need a reinforced hide to sit in!), but is it fair on those animals? When they lived in the UK the population was measured in thousands not millions, the habitat has changed beyond all recognition, we think that Red Deer live on open hill tops, but the truth is they were woodland animals until we removed those woods.
The wetlands where the Beavers used to choose to live have either been drained for agriculture or had housing estates built on them, the bits where animals have been dumped(and I choose the word) is almost always unsuitable, not for farmers or foresters, but for Beavers.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Myrkk
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:23 pm the shops are full of venison at quite cheap prices too.
Unless you’re near Edinburgh… robbing so and so’s.

Used to be able to call up the local council estate (Margam Park) and order a full deer carcas. Head, feet and pelt removed but I used to have to butcher it myself. £90 for a full deer around 10yrs ago, dread to think what it would be now.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'm not so keen on Red deer venison, a bit too strong for me, I prefer a Roe, which being smaller should be less expensive.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic