Amyone know about Tomatillos ?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tony Hague
KG Regular

I've grown the sort of tomatillos that are green, ripening to a pale creamy yellow quite a few times. They do well enough outside and make a lot of fruits - usually far too many !

This year for a change I have been trying the sort that ripen to purple. I treated them just the same, raised them in the greenhouse and them planted them out in the veg plot. Lots of green tomatillos, but not a hint of purple. Do they need to be under glass, or has it just been a poor year for them ? Can the green ones be ripened indoors like tomatoes ?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Never grown any, but according to this, they turn sour when purple.....................................
https://www.allotmentbook.co.uk/contents/tomatillos/
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Ahh, maybe I can try them as they are now. The largest are about ping pong ball sized. I'll have to make a small batch of a salsa so as not to waste too much stuff if they aren't nice ! I thought they would need to turn purple. The yellow varieties change shape and aroma quite a bit as they lose the green colour; a strange kind of mildly cheesy aroma develops, in a nice sort of sense.
Westi
KG Regular

Only tried them once years ago & not overly impressed as they seemed mature; but green & hard with little juice. I haven't tried since though but expect they have developed these a bit more to suit our climate.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

We grow them every year outside for salsa and pickle. We used to grow mixed ones and always thought the green ones did better so the packet we have used for the last few years is green only.
Primrose
KG Regular

I grew some green ones one summer many years ago. I think it may have been our good friend Monika who sent me the seeds. They were quite easy to grow, like tumbling bush tomatoes but didn't change colour. Made quite a niceMexican type salsa from them. Didnt repeat the process due to lack of space
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic