Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well very reluctantly, I have started it! 🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks, OH.

I've bought nettle seeds. Yeah, bizarre to buy seed for what most people consider to be a weed. I'm wondering if I'll need to start them inside and grow on outside. The idea is to harvest in the spring. Any ideas/opinions? I really have no idea what I'm doing. :)
Westi
KG Regular

Monika will be pleased OH & it is starting to feel more autumnal, even if a wee too damp, but we will just have to get used to all these extremes I suppose.

All jabs up to date now, well not shingles which I see they are also offering this year, but I have never had chicken pox; that's even with the 'take all kids around to whoever had something to play 50's & 60's'! I was again very impressed with the staff & the smooth process to get people through at the little community hospital that was offering it. The volunteers were incredibly helpful & checked everything. Work sessions were a bit of a shambles in comparison! I did sneak out straight away rather than waiting the 15 minutes today, no way I could do that at work!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We've got frosts forecast this week, when's the winter one starting lol.................................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Not quite frosts here.
Screenshot 2023-10-12 080129.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-12 080129.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 239737 times
Westi
KG Regular

I wonder what winter will bring? It's been hard to predict for the last couple of years. So long as not snow in the mix I will be happy, as our area services just can't manage snow - mind they can't manage the council budget either & are in trouble with the government. Maybe they were making savings by not bothering with the salt? :)
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I see Amateur Gardening magazine has now finished….I have fond memories of the Milkman delivering it, when I was a young lad!

Clive.
KG Regular

I have a feeling that the home garden here was designed courtesy of Amateur Gardening....I'm maybe wrong and it was another title.? .but I believe it was by one of the long established garden journals that offered a free design service back then, mid 50s..front garden and back garden still more or less as designed, the hollies that are still up front delivered by British Railways van having arrived arrived at our local station which was just along our road..
Somewhere, in the hallway sideboard cupboard, is the answer...the receipt from Pennells nursery, the design plan and even the delivery note from the BR van delivery.... ;)

C.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes OH definitely time for an autumn thread now . After a night of rain the central heating clicked in for thr first time this morning! . Our cosmos flowers are still bravely hanging on though.

Did anybidy watch Gardeners World last night? Seems to be transitioning gradually to a new format and team as if Minty Don is slowly taking a step back. Guess this season,s episodes will soon be ending as gardening for the year starts to wind down.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s a fantastic bit of family history, Clive.

Lily keeps mentioning what a wonderful day you made it!

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A sharp frost here this morning…..not sure what it’s nipped yet, until later!

Looks as if it’s going to be a beautiful day, even if a little fresh….🙂

Geoff
KG Regular

Proper white over frost here too, down to -1.1°C.
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

Last night it went down to just under 3C here, and the sun is shining and there’s a beautiful blue sky! I might get my tall brassica cage finished today🤞
I picked the last cucumbers from the greenhouse yesterday, and I’m hoping some of the tomatoes might continue to ripen before I have to bring the last ones inside to hopefully finish ripening in bags in a drawer.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, last green tomatoes, a cucumber and 2 courgettes picked yesterday, just in time. Always think a frost seems odd when the sunshine is so bright during the day though.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Everything over the allotment seems to have escaped the frost….just tonight to get over, then a slightly milder night time spell…it would be nice to still be picking beans until November!🙂

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic