Membership numbers

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Tigger
KG Regular

As it's now just over a month since KG introduced the new membership rules for the Forum, I thought I would take a look at the numbers.

The new Forum started on November 18th and the rules changed on May 5th, so as the dates don't quite align themselves, I've assumed the membership for November as a whole month (in other words, the results are not enhanced, they're understated).

So - up until May 5th., we had an average monthly membership of 73.5 people. During the month commencing May 6th, (ie., the first full day of the new rules) we had 112 new (and legitimate) members - namely 19.96% of the total membership from Novemeber 18th until June 6th joined in the month after the rules changed.

That looks quite reassuring and may allay some of the concerns about 'putting people off' by restricting Guest postings. It also seems to tally with the experience of other similar Forums.

What do others think? ( I can already hear the replies - "get a life", "Maisie No Mates", and worse.......)

Right - I promise to lie down in the dark now.
Sarahlee
KG Regular

But the down side is that out of 112 new members only 23 have posted anything on the forum. So why did the other 89 people who havenot posted anything join the forum?
Beccy
KG Regular

Maybe they joined because they know that they might want to say something at some point. A lot of people lurk on forums for quite a while before they participate. Personally I do and I'd rather others did too, it lets you get a feel for the forum's character and makes it less likely you will irritate longer term members by asking a faq. :)
Chantal
KG Regular

If you're registered you get the yellow post-it notes so you know what you've already read (most of the time).
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Rubberman
KG Regular

Maybe it's because everyone on here is really scary!

I was too shy (lol) to post for ages and lurked in the background. Then I realised that I must be as mad as everyone else to keep coming back!

Once you realise that people don't (always) jump down your throat for asking or saying something silly or controversial, there is a tendency to relax and participate a bit more.

So anyone reading this who has not yet posted anything, go on - have a go. Not everyone here bites!
(Some are really old and haven't got any teeth left.)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Chantal
KG Regular

Scary! What's scary about us lot? :lol: :lol: :lol: God, I'd hate anyone to think that of me. :shock: I'm a nice person really, although I do still have all my teeth... 8)
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

I do so hope Tigger is the same Chantal.

Cos you know what happens with Tiggers who damage their teeth?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Rubberman
KG Regular

OK Chantal, Maybe scary was a bit harsh.

What I meant was frighteningly knowledgable! :wink:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Chantal
KG Regular

I think you're mixing me up with someone else; I'm always asking for advice on here. Everyone knows something but no one knows everything so between us we do OK. Bit of a team effort on most questions. :D
Chantal

Tigger
KG Regular

Eeerrrrr - I've got all my own teeth, but they're all filled ( and I do mean ALL).

I don't think I understand this reference as I thought I was quite a nice Tigger. Would you like references Peter?

Should I be doing/saying something differently?

Yours humbly, toothless, not scary.......
peter
KG Regular

Tiggers (and Lions) who loose their teeth have a nasty tendancy to become maneaters. :shock:

Somenthing to do with men being soft and tender. :oops:

Well compared to a large hairy antelope anyway. :evil:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

Can't wait! :D
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

It IS scary for new members to post a message - especially when the string turns inwards with chatter amongst well established contributors.

So to those viewing but not posting - please do not be put off by the cliquitey appearance of some of the regulars - there are plenty of people who are only too ready to respond uncritically to your postings. Try it and see.

Chris
Chris
legendaryone
KG Regular

Perhaps there are people like myself who like to read forums and just don't post alot :D

Right off i go back to reading :lol: :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chris, i hope nobody is really put off by us regulars rambling on a bit, they can post a message or reply at any time and i'm sure they will always get a reply or be welcomed with open arms.
If there are others that think it might be a bit off putting i for one am prepared to quieten it down a bit. :?
Legendaryone, glad you enjoy reading the threads. :D

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic