Mint

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Love me a bit of mint, it goes so well in so many things. But, it is a bit of a thug in the garden.

So, was thinking of, rather than planting it in the border or the herb patch, I could plant it along the gravelled drainage area between the house and the patio. Then every time I walk past I’ll get a lovely minty scent.

Can anyone think of a reason this isn’t a good idea? I know it’s invasive but it’s not like Japanese knot weed or Himalayan balsam is it? I won’t damage my house or patio by doing this?
Primrose
KG Regular

Should be OK as long as you keep a regular eye on it to ensure the roots arn't getting out of control, and that your house concrete foundations are in good condition because if they're not the mint will soon invade any crumbling areas.

. I'd recommend not planting more than one variety in the same location though . I once planted some spearmint close to my ordinary mint in a border I'd allocated it to . Not a good idea as they soon both intermingled and made picking each variety difficult. I definitely didn't want spearmint sauce sprinkled over our Sunday roast lamb!
retropants
KG Regular

I think I'd still sink a large pot into the gravel area, just to keep it under control.
Geoff
KG Regular

As above, restrain the roots. Mint likes moisture, gravel could be too dry but you are in Scotland!
Myrkk
KG Regular

Hmm, was hoping to use it as a useful weed suppressant along the side of the house. The gravel area is only around 4” wide along the side of the extension which is less than 20yrs old I think. So hopefully no crumbly bits.

I’ve used edging tape sunk down to restrict it’s growth in the past but a runner or two does eventually find a way past it. Might just use the big manhole covers we have for the mint and use something like camomile in the gravelly areas.

Yes, Geoff it is a bit wet up here, but thankfully we’re east coast so drier than most lol
Primrose
KG Regular

Myrkk . I hadn't realised the area you were suggesting for mint was quite so narrow otherwise I wouldn,t have suggested it would probably be ok. I think mint thrives best in environments where it thinks it has a free run , or alternatively where it has good rich soil so it can develop nice leafy foliage rather than the scrawny foliage it develops in stoney soil or sparse conditions. If you're a generous consumer or it, it,s probably best grown in a large container filled with very rich compost.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose, I didn’t specify initially so my bad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic