Kale Question

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Been growing Kale for a while and they always look like the one on the left another plant is giving me lots of the bigger leaves on the right.

Anybody know if they two different type of kale plant?
Attachments
Kale.jpg
Kale.jpg (4.35 MiB) Viewed 11228 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I hadn’t realised this hadn’t had a reply, Colin…I should think it is some sort of variant, maybe an odd seed slightly different in the packet!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

This is Cavalo Nero isn't it?
I,ve often grown this and noticed that occasionally some of the leaves have been a little bit different if you look at the narrow end of the stem it looks like the real thing so I guess as aoah suggests it become a variant of some kind.
Butthe time it,s cooked and served up aI don't suppose there,lll be any difference in taste althiugh aI do think more oddities are creeping i to seed packets these days.

Not sure how the seed collection & packaging process takes place in commercial companies so I guess oddities are biund to occur. One tiny seed looks just like another to me. I've read of some very weird variations in the squash family sowings snd results this year but ai guess they,re well known of their failure to breed true.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you both for your comments.
Yes it is "Cavalo Nero" they are from 2 different suppliers and of course I have no idea which is which.
It is not a one off odd seed as have dozen of each.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic