Too many cookbooks!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

More than will fit in here anyway. Plus I bought several new ones when we never knew if or when we might get our belongings from Kyiv. I'm giving them a strict weeding and will send at least a couple of boxfuls to the charity shop. Let someone else get the benefit of them. :D
Westi
KG Regular

If your luck runs like mine Stravaig you will want to refer to one of those cookbooks within weeks of giving them away.! :)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

My husband, being a keen cook, has a whole bookcase of cookery books. Often they've been bought for just one recipe they contained! Over the years he,s transferred most of his favourite recipes to an app on his iPad which he can use in the kitchen but will he get rid of the cookbooks? No!
I desperately want to get our house decluttered but it seems there,s no way he,s going to part company with them.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I know what you mean, Westi but some of the ones I'm chucking are 20-30 years old and are now superseded by much more modern books - with photos! Also, if I've not used a book in the last few years I'm unlikely to suddenly want it again now. Let someone else have the benefit of it.
Primrose
KG Regular

I have only one cookbook now - the one my mum acquired in 1937 when she got married. It's falling apart now but still contains little notes stuck in it with various wartime recipes written in her her distinct handwriting, so rather precious.
darui
KG Regular

Stravaig wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:16 pm More than will fit in here anyway. Plus I bought several new ones when we never knew if or when we might get our belongings from Kyiv. I'm giving them a strict weeding and will send at least a couple of boxfuls to the charity shop. Let someone else get the benefit of them. :D
Like cookbooks with cool ilustations :D
Primrose
KG Regular

If you have a local food bank near you it might be worth enquiring whether they would find cookery books with simple money saving recipes worth having for their clients.
The sad fact of life is that many younger families using food banks have little idea of how to make money saving meals cheaply because they've never been taught how to cook.
Learning how to make simple filling soups and inexpensive meals ought to be on the agenda for all pupils at secondary school. It's a fairly basic skill everybody needs.
Stravaig
KG Regular

It's a great idea, Primrose, but I tend to buy cheffy cookbooks which wouldn't fit the bill of what you're suggesting,

Hmm, maybe I should write such a book myself. I've written several books before. That would be quite an interesting project. I'm a bit of a food weirdo, though, I won't even buy mince. I buy meat and mince it myself, but I don't suppose that matters.

Soup - a meal in a bowl and so easy and cheap to make. That's chapter 1 of my book half done already. :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic