What is causing my turnips to crack or split?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

garg2025456
KG Regular

Hey everyone!
I am extremely disappointed with my experience of growing Turnips. Out of my fascination towards kitchen gardening, I recently bought some organic Vegetable seeds including Turnips. I followed all the mentioned instructions and the seeds grew very well. I watched the plant till its harvest time, it seemed totally fine seeing the shoots, and when I was about to harvest it, being so excited it just totally broke my heart to see the Turnips cracked and split! After all those weeks of working and waiting I was very sad to see this. Can you please explain what could led to this? Also what care shall I take to avoid this thing to happen again?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

An sudden increase in the amount of water they take up can cause this….heavy rain after a dry spell!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum garg!

Mine have split as well which I put down to too much rain this year. Last year some split as well during the mini heat wave which I put down to watering. I did water but on reflection I should have gone back & given them another drink as the first one probably evaporated before the roots benefited.

PD: Were you really up at 3.54 am, or was that when the computer accepted your post & put it on the forum? That even beats Old Herbaceous! ;)
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic