What smells like manure?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Daveswife
KG Regular

What smells like manure but isn't manure? Today there has been a strong smell of manure in a specific but small area of our garden near a hedge, and I can't explain it. However, it occurred to me that there might be something dead and lurking somewhere. Hopefully it is not one of our visiting hedgehogs, badgers or foxes and I'm not aware of anyone's pet cat going missing.

Any ideas? :(
Angie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Angie, there isn’t a sewer manhole anywhere nearby is there?
If not, I should think something small has died….the bigger the animal, the stronger the stench….
Hope you are keeping well!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

If something had died there I would think the flies would be leading to where it was & even if dragged away they would still be very interested in the area it died; well dependent on the rain!
Westi
Daveswife
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies. Good thinking, Westi, about the flies. And Herbacious that's a good point about the adjacent sewers!

Today the aroma has been intermittent and we get a whiff in various places around the garden. Delightful!

Cheers!
Angie
Angie
peter
KG Regular

Grumbles around the edge of my town on social media, the brief muck-spreading season is open.
Between harvest and cultivation for the next crop.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

I Once innocently spread a rather large supply of very fresh manure on a recently cleared part of my veg patch In the height of summer.sunshine. The odour reached neighbours living three doors away! Couldn't believe the pong lasted so long !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic