Late Summer Bit and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Stravaig wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:04 pm I was under the impression that wearing a mask protects other people from you. It doesn't protect you from other people. Perhaps someone with more medical knowledge would know the answer. Westi?

My cancer surgeon told me to wear a mask to protect me, has to be a surgical one with the right micron size to be effective.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Most blue masks all look the same to me.
Can one assume that those being issued still in some medical places automatically fit the specification?
Westi
KG Regular

Primrose you will see them again soon in mass at the GP's & hospital entrances, these are the ones surgeons wear for ops & stuff so for them this is for the patient protection, but exactly the same ones as in the boxes at the entrances. They are single use as holes in them are so fine & moistness from your breath will make them damp which will keep Covid alive for you to bring home!

I was going to post on this subject as I've just booked our Covid boosters online & compared to last year it was smooth & easy. You need your NHS number for ultra easy booking so Mr's slot was booked easily, I had no problems even though I don't know my NHS number just a few more steps with DOB etc. 10.25 & 10.30, 11th Oct at the community hospital for us!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Went down today following the big winds & rain the last few days. Spent ages banging in stakes & shoving stones in the holes to keep upright & unravelling netting & mesh! Mother Nature made the decision regarding my attempt to keep the wee beans on the runners as she took out that row, even snapping the hazel poles in the process! Fortunately the red & savoy cabbages were mature so survived the assault!
336jOg2EQkuD8wQdU%fISg.jpg
336jOg2EQkuD8wQdU%fISg.jpg (4.85 MiB) Viewed 22137 times
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Geese in the sky this morning so guess autumn has arrived.
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi Thanks for the mask explanation. Do any germs on masks have a limited time life. Am afraid in the past I,ve beeguilty of shoving one of these masks back ina pocket or handbag for use as an "3emergency supply" in case if I,m caught short without one on a future occasion. Are they in fact washable? I hate the environmental thought of throwing such items like this away after a single use if thorough washing would still leave them safe to use.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose. The germs do have a limited life span (still quite a long time, hours not minutes), dependent on conditions so technically they will die on hard surfaces & dry masks for that matter, but the holes in the masks will be compromised from wearing it whether you actually got any covid germs on it because it is stretched over your face & moulded around your nose & chin so if you do get contact they next time you wear it they could get through the holes. The mask can not be washed as just disintegrate.

For ease you can make/buy your own masks, which are recommended to have 3 layers of lining inside the outer cover, elastic loops for the ears & if possible some metal inside on the nose that can be pinched in, but this must be washed after a single use. Some market stalls were selling these down here.

Also some of the masks sold at hardware stores also meet the criteria. These come with replaceable inner filters but I expect being associated with the building industry are currently cost prohibitive. We've just started the process of doing a disabled extension for Mr Westi & our chosen builder came over so I could explain what we had in mind before we approach the architect for drawings as our budget is very tight. He said during the building explosion during Covid with all the renovations going on, bricks were costing £2 each! Breeze block for the extension then! :)
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

There's that Lancaster heading on by again Old H' .... ;)

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Saw it….never fails to impress…..thank you, Clive.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:28 pm Saw it….never fails to impress…..thank you, Clive.
First job today upon getting back from a work visit was getting the washing in the machine and out on the line. Then I had a ride down to the aviation heritage centre at East Kirkby...so I was viewing a Lancaster, Mosquito and B25 in the hangar. The Lancaster there is a work in progress towards airworthy with the tail fuselage section being worked on whilst an exchange section from another is currently fitted. A set of wings from a French owned Lancaster are being worked up in a similar exchange so as to keep the aircraft available for taxi rides at the museum during the summer season whilst allowing component parts to be repaired to airworthy spec'.

Back home for lunch, sweetcorn swift for starter, beetroot sandwiches and stewed apple for pud...one Lady Henniker and one Queen apple made up the mix.
Yesterdays was a Lord Lambourne/ Grenadier/ Queen mix.... Grenadier is classed as an early apple but in this case it's later as the little tree is on the north side of a large wall.!

Just seen the overnight forecast..best I go and get my lawn mown whilst it's dry again..after this weeks 2" + rains..

C.
Colin2016
KG Regular

You do eat Posh food Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like you have a very pleasant day, Clive….lets hope today equals it for you….🙂

Bit sad this morning, the lovely Mother Hedgehog that has been about this year, had been knocked over and killed….a slow bit of road, so no excuse for it being hit. Also, about six weeks ago, the two young ones she had earlier in the year, were found a couple of gardens away, with their heads chewed off….nature can be a tough old thing at times.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I picked an out door sweetcorn and some french beans for dinner with chicken, I really miss my apple trees this time of year, but I just had so many problems with them.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Pleased to see a Red Kite flying over the Mendip Hills to-day, always a pleasing site that they are now spreading out across the country.

Barney
Westi
KG Regular

Spent the day cutting back the strawberries. Still fruiting but something is eating the older leaves, leaving near perfect round holes; they aren't dying off though & healthy although leaf colour is darker. They are/were fruiting but sacrificed the fruits as well to clear the plants completely so just young leaves. They will be fine as enough new growth but any ideas what might have caused the holes? Never noted it before. Not finished yet but most done & probs only 1/2 hr or so tomorrow to finish them.

I did other wee outdoor clearing jobs as well as the incessant rain has introduced disease/mildew into a lot of other plants, mainly the legumes. I also found absolutely loads of those big fat slugs hiding (well not hiding); around the plot fencing, I'm sure they will be happy in the farmers field!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic