Sheep fleece & dags

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have managed to get a few bags of sheep dags and some sheep fleece.

What would be best way to use them as top dressing on beds or in compost?
Geoff
KG Regular

Best use is probably on your vineyard https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c98yx3yxjrno
Westi
KG Regular

We have a plot on the site that is just grape vines & the chap maintaining that uses sheep fleeces under the rows each year.

I was given a compressed mat of wool as a pressie a couple of years ago. I haven't used it yet as when rolled out it had the image of a bird in the mixed wool colours. (I know)! :) The instructions said to cut them to size & put in the hole you are planting into as it absorbs water so roots are kept moist. This confused me as wool is fairly greasy so my thoughts was water would not be absorbed but would run off, but maybe the roots can work their way into the wool; or by compressing it the oils are squished out??
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

The only vineyard I have are the empty wine bottles.

Thanks for the link Geoff, I saw the program a while ago which prompted me to give it a go, also saw or heard that dags are good as well hence giving it a go.

Going to use most of it on the beds and one bag in compost.

I will be growing onions, garlic, calabres and broad beans over winter any suggestion on which to use it on or wait till warmer months next year?
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I think the answer Colin is both as a top mulch and a compost. It is not a new idea and I used to bury fleece before planting rhubarb crowns and have used it around apple trees but have always left a space around the trunk in case it caused the trunk to sweat. My wife uses it as a mulch in the flower garden but always leaves a space round the stems because she blames it for killing off her peonies when she didn't. The daggings will of course be beneficial to the soil.

Barney
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

I’ve used them round young brassica plants etc, to deter the slugs, and keep the soil moist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic