Resident chicks

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

janjones
KG Regular

I thought there was only one chick in the nest but when I went to crop the picture and zoomed in a bit I saw two on the left. The second picture is one of the parents watching taking the picture.
Jan (changed subject name to see if this one gets approved, it really is wearing me down not being able to join in)
Screenshot 2023-07-17 132842.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-17 132842.jpg (79.51 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Screenshot 2023-07-17 133111.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-17 133111.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Westi
KG Regular

Jan, I see you have been approved, so looking forward to reading your posts! Mind I didn't understand a thing said in the post but Welcome again! ;)
Westi
janjones
KG Regular

someone mentioned the words used might stop it posting so changed the subject heading from swallows to chicks. They left the nest a couple of days ago and gave a spectacular flying display. I thought they'd left but they came back this evening and kept flying towards the window I was sitting by, then up and over the roof, chirping away happily. These are the only swallows in the immediate area, my neighbors hang plastic bags outside their upstairs windows to stop the birds nesting on their houses.
Jan
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds as if the Swallows knew where they were welcome, Jan.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

That's a shame about your neighbour' actions. I know these birds can make a mess but with fewer birds arriving every summer it,s an honour to still have them visiting and nesting. Perhaps it's worth putting a temporary covering on the ground underneath during nesting time to collect any mess dropped.

Glad they've given you pleasure. Wonder if you,ll see a second brood?
janjones
KG Regular

It's been an honor to have them choose my shed to nest in. My first guest was a bumblebee who would slowly fly past me when I was sitting in the shed and go into the corner where there's an old rabbit hutch, then there were 2 and shortly after the swallows. Yes there is quite a mess to clean up, mostly under the nest which is above the door so a quick power wash should do the trick there and yes Primrose I was thinking about putting old compost bags under it if they come back. I am fortunate to live in a small zero crime village where we still leave our back door wide open 24/7 in mild weather and the shed door isn't closed so they can come back if they want.
Jan
Primrose
KG Regular

Jan you are lucky with yiur crime free village. Round here a neighbour was mowing his front lawn some tim ago. Popped indoors to answer a call of nature and when he came out his mower had gone !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic