Identifying Cucumbers.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I have sown & planted out some cucumbers but I'm pretty sure they aren't the ones it said on the packet! They have little light green leaves & multiple stems with lots of tiny yellow flowers, no fruit yet although bees have been in there. I have 2 femspot that popped up on the staging outside as I thought they were no shows & suitably neglected, but they had other ideas. They are safely planted in the tunnel now & taking off. They have a darker bigger leaf already & showing the inclination to climb.

Any ideas what the small ones are? Gherkin, round ones or just an prickly outside growing one or some genetic hiccup? If they were to be 'proper' long thin cucumbers I would leave them as the pop ups are a little late so could miss out. I doubt that though & they are going crazy & getting out of control.

Cheers wise ones!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Westi, i’ve no idea at all what the plants are but, it sounds like a failing somewhere along the line…either genetic, a virus, root failure, frost damage to the growing tip, or just stressed out for some reason.

Do you know what variety they should be?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Well I decided they were given a good chance, just from the pollination side if nothing else so I put them on the compost. Behind their foliage I found 2 Japanese cucumbers (Just skinnier normal ones that are ready a little earlier). They are plodding on & started climbing so nothing lost.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic