Cuttings.

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

I stuggle to get cuttings to strike.Does anyone have a well tried and trusted method of getting both soft and hard cuttings to take?I am looking to take Rosemary,Dianthus(Pinks) and Forsythia cuttings and would hope to get 50% to take.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

I take loads of cuttings and usually have a high success rate. I use soil based compost that I make myself as I do for everything else. Something like 3 to 4 parts soil, 2 parts leafmould, ½ part sharp sand and ½ part grit. I mix with a rotosieve. I fill the pots and water them well and allow to drain then top them off with a layer of grit. Unlike the man on the tele I don't prat about with poly bags, I take the pots to the bush or plant that I am taking the cuttings from. Prepare the cuttings in the usual way by cutting across below a leaf joint and remove some lower leaves, usually pinch off with finger and thumb. Dip in hormone rooting powder and push through the grit layer then press down a little with fingers each side the cutting. If they are very soft I might dibber them in but I prefer not to. In warmer parts of the year I usually put them in my propagator without heat but shaded with white polythene, Spring or Autumn I would use the soil warming cables. Don't water them much until they look like something is happening, wilt and then perk up again usually, but I do mist spray them. Hope that helps.
snooky
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff for the info.I shall certainly try your method.I have all the makings for your mixture so in the next couple of days it will be all systems go.Always did wonder if putting a plastic bag over the pot with the cuttings in was detrimental to them.Forget about them for few days and the cuttings under the bag had some kind of fungus or the soil they were in was soaking.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

My poly bags comment was about the way he cuts them puts them in a bag then processes them later somewhere else. I don't cover them with a bag either by the way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic