Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

The (purchased) black skinned potatoes we had with our meal the other day were definitely off putting and we decided that they're an experiment we won't be repeating.

It was interesting to read earlier comments about what gets released from the air in heavy rains and thunderstorms. I've been amazed at the number of time the rainwater in our water gauge has turned a pink colour with rain coming up from the Sahara. On several times this summer it has been most noticeable and I rather wonder about the longer term staining effect it will have on the white paintwork and concrete of buildings. We all know how black soot and smoke particles from heavy coal burning areas has changed and damaged buildings by its staining.

On another front, our climbing French bean harvest this summer has been an embarrassment of riches. I think dumping surplus soil to reduce the level of our now grassed-over vegetable patch onto our solitary vegetable growing border has greatly enriched the growing environment. We're now having to give all the surplus away over what we can eat as the freezer is packed to the eyeballs with them!
Westi
KG Regular

My 2nd sow of peas are doing fine, well one is. I built 2 small frames in different places on the plot, the front ones squeezed beside the broad bean 2nd sow were found by the mice despite me putting down enough peppermint oil to clear my sinuses from a couple of feet away. The other ones went in where the garlic was as had a gap as the plastic I put down over the space was a tad small. I had a few bird problems but netted them & they are in flower. French beans are in abundance, the first sow was a no show so I gave them a couple of weeks & re-sowed & now I have loads as both came up.
My story of this year - sulking plants, no shows, naughty critters, new weeds & strange coloured fruit! But on the positive no heat wave, little extra watering & the best year for berries ever, both in size & number!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic