How to serve baked beans in tomato sauce

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

You know what I do? I put them on the plate! :lol:

Blimey, though , if you get a "Full English" in a hotel or B&B these days they seem to think the beans are going to a fancy dress party or something. You get your bacon rashers on the plate, your sausages, eggs, whatever else, all on the plate... But the beans so very often come in some kind of weird receptacle.

We've had beans served in ramekins, not weird, but WHY? We've had them served in a sort of mini-Belfast sink affair. And on our exotic holiday (a night in Norfolk last week) we had our beans served in mini-flower pots. I don't get it. Do you?
Geoff
KG Regular

Probably the only microwaved item in a Full English - better than a mushy dollop from a permanently on panful. But why they don't tip them out of whatever container they use is a mystery, just more cheffy nonsense. We usually add chilli sauce to our beans, basic cheap range.
Stravaig
KG Regular

LOL!

I'm not so sure that real chefs do this cheffy nonsense stuff. It's the wannabe "look at me" chefs. Can you imagine Gordon Ramsay serving beans in a flower pot? :lol:

That said, James Martin, who is a pretty good chef, has a range of tat including mini chip baskets. Some pubs serve their chips in these. Why? I guess the punters like the novelty.

Funny you would say about microwaving beans. I'd always do mine stove-top in a pan - otherwise there's a good risk of them going claggy. That is made-to-order beans not a permanently on pan, otherwise you'd have to be permanently letting it down with water (or tomato juice).
Colin2016
KG Regular

"we had our beans served in mini-flower pots"

Didn't they run out the hole in the bottom?

Reason for mini chip baskets is so the portions are all the same amount, plus I can see an upsell there...would you like a medium or large basket?
robo
KG Regular

Only way to have beans is on toast with grilled cheese on top always known as cheese beanos in our house to chefs annoy me they insist on calling bass, sea bass there’s no such fish it’s called bass pure and simple
I’ll put my soap box away now
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That made me smile, Robo….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Probably served by a pseud chef or have I got the wrong term there?
Stravaig
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:59 am "we had our beans served in mini-flower pots"

Didn't they run out the hole in the bottom?

Reason for mini chip baskets is so the portions are all the same amount, plus I can see an upsell there...would you like a medium or large basket?
They didn't have a hole in the bottom. Ouch painful. :D

Upsell - portion sizes... Genius, Colin!
Stravaig
KG Regular

Geoff wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:54 pm Probably served by a pseud chef or have I got the wrong term there?
I dunno, Geoff. There are top, middle and mediocre chefs, wannabe chefs, home cooks who think they could be chefs. It takes all sorts. You do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about "cheffy nonsense", as if chefs are some kind of homogenous group.

Most trades/professions have some nonsense attached but perhaps yours doesn't. I don't know what you do or did so I can't comment.

Cooking-wise, I generally do the best I can in terms of preparation, cooking, and even presentation. It's not nonsense. It's about pleasing people and making them feel happy. I also like to help people if they want the benefit of my training and experience.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Robo, gosh yes! "Sea bass".

Is there room on your soap box for two? I'm always on about stuff like that.
Westi
KG Regular

It's a lure to the masses who's idea of cooking is following the trends. They might get something edible on the plate but never understand the special add ins vital role & if they don't have it leave it! It's so subjective as well - comfort in hard times is a priority to feed the family & resurrect cheap food so kinda good to see tinned corn beef showing up quite a lot! The past will not be forgotten.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Beans on toast with cheese on top and ideally fresh chili (with seeds) or the dried ones on top.

I like sea bass or(Bass as suggested) but whole not filleted.

The fish lady says she can only sell sardines that are filleted.
robo
KG Regular

There is a news clip on the telly tonight about our fight against rent rises it is supposed to be on twice it’s on the bbc at at 6-30 and 8-30 it should be interesting I intend going but I might be to ugly for the telly
robo
KG Regular

Stravaig I’ll build an extension on my box so there will be room for 2
Stravaig
KG Regular

robo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:57 am Stravaig I’ll build an extension on my box so there will be room for 2
Thanks Robo! I'm only about 7stone so no need for any particular concrete reinforcing? Also, I won't need a microphone. :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic