Will the British ever ive up their neat tidy lawns?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Rewilding gadens seems to be a topical feature in the press at the moment n view of climate change but I wonder how many of us are prepared to give up our neatly manicured lawns and let them develop into a jungle?

We don't put weedkiller on ours so daisies, dandelions and moss grow as they will, but but I honestly can't see us letting it grow to a foot high jungle n the interests of encouraging a few more insects into the garden when we want somewhere nice to sit, relax.and contemplate!

Today received ohotos from a Canadian relative showing her newly mown lawns (first cut of their season) and manicured garden so it,s not just we British who have this obsession about horticultural neatness ! Will garden rewilding ever catch on I wonder or is pride in our well kept gardens too deeply ingrained?

Discuss !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don’t have a lawn anymore but, gardeners will always want nice tidy areas in their gardens, i’m sure of that!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

So what happened to your lawn OH? I,m really intrigued how people are adapting their gardens.
We,ve just reluctantly added to the nation,s grass stocks by seeding over it veg plot but ai doubt thst will do much for the nation's "" rewilding" plans!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I haven’t got the biggest of gardens, so the lawn was a bit of a pain….got a decent sized terrace, so the lawn became Herbaceous beds….

Colin2016
KG Regular

I will not be rewilding at home.
I need the crass for my compost.
I need to see where the dog craps.
Don't like bugs swarming around when trying to get a suntan.
Dog hates the bugs as well.
It good to have a nice looking front lawn.

Never use weedkiller or any grass enhancing feed on lawns.

On the plot is different my view is it is for growing food not for viewing so a bit or lot of mess ok.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I see it in a kind of "dig for victory" way. As food becomes more expensive, if you have a bit of land/garden, however small, it seems like a good idea to grow food on it.

I've grown edible plants for years, not from economic necessity but more a case of growing "exotic" things I couldn't easily buy.

When we get our house back (in August) I really want to do more kitchen gardening. I'm not afraid of starving but the food supply chain in this country (UK) is so messed up I'd just prefer to step out of that system.
Westi
KG Regular

I won't be re-wilding - I can't find my critters half the time as it is! :) We have paved most of the back so Mr can get around on his wheelchair but keep flower beds around the edges & back. The front is still lawn, again with edges for flowers, but I won't be letting it get wild & get out of hand.

I get loads of insects & bees around the flowers. What might help is asking folk who tarmac or concrete their front for multiple cars could be encouraged to have a wee boundary bed of hedging, fruit or flowers compulsory?
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Wonder why those with concrete drives get flooded gardnes?
peter
KG Regular

Well manicured lawns are good for songbirds, less cover for predators and easier to get the creepy-crawlies & worms.

What I really don't get is the plastic grass, what's the point?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Stravaig
KG Regular

Peter, plastic grass, aka astro turf, has its uses. It doesn't require the same care and maintenance as real grass does.
I used to be a keen hockey player and by gawd, you didn't want to fall on an astro turf pitch. A fall and a skid would take half the skin off your leg. The word "painful" doesn't even come close.

I probably wouldn't choose astro turf instead of a lawn but for some elderly or infirm people maybe a lawn is too much trouble.

When we were overseas I wanted to hire a part-time gardener for our house in Kent, someone who would come in once or twice a week and take care of the place. Someone who would be welcome to do their own thing... But no. Apparently this wasn't possible so we had the nasty guys who came once in a blue moon to cut the grass and charge a small fortune for doing it. I bet my lovely garden will be a wreck by the time we get it back.

I don't understand why, with such a long waiting list for allotments, it isn't easier to find someone who will tend to your garden in return for them having free rein with it. All I would ask is for a few vegetables and herbs here and there. I'd even pay the person! But no apparently this is not possible.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You should live closer to me then, Stravaig….I provide all those service, and a few more too…😀

Stravaig
KG Regular

OH, come to Kent for a working holiday!

We have agreed to a contract of having this flat until the end of October but we'll be getting our own house back in August. You can stay free of charge in our fully furnished and fully equipped home for a week or so (we'll stay at the flat).

You could spend a couple of hours in the mornings giving the garden a good redd up (that's Scottish) and do what you like the rest of the time.

You and Cook. I'm allergic to children and wouldn't want them in my house. Oh, go on, a free holiday in the garden of England. 8)
Stravaig
KG Regular

What other services do you provide?

I'm not sure I like the sound of that.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’ve been offered many a working holiday over the years but, I don’t have holidays anymore, so will have to turn your kind offer down….😀

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Since i’m good with my hands, and was in the building trade for 25 years, the other services are many….😀

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic