What are you afraid of cooking? Anything?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

I watch quite a lot of cooking progs on the telly. It's surprising (for me) how many people say they're afraid to cook fish at home. I think of it as being fast food. And it can be very easy too. Even my husband can make a tin foil or parchment paper parcel and cook a fish in the oven. (Admittedly, he's a bit dodgy at pan frying.)

Another thing is if it's of a foreign cuisine, say Thai or Korean, a large proportion of books on Amazon are for total beginners as thogh nearly everyone is clueless.

At the other extreme you see people going on Master Chef or even Master Chef Professionals and they have huge gaps in their knowledge, eg pastry, or they've never filleted a fish. There's no way I'd want to be on the telly anyway but if I did I'd make very sure to have all the bases covered as far as possible.
Westi
KG Regular

Not afraid of cooking anything really, but I do have a thing about pressure cookers after my gran had a disaster that left us cleaning for quite a while & I won't have one as remember the graft & being on an adult's shoulders to clean the ceiling & the smell. 40C soon made it rank. I am also wary of deep fat frying as well. Pretty similar reason but this time it was my mother who managed to set the kitchen on fire.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic