Coronation signature dish

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

Eurgh! I could have spent days trying to figure out something worse than this. It'd be hard to come up with something worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ature-dish

They could have anything they wanted - didn't even have to be expensive. Why the heck would they choose an abomination like that? Is it patronising? They don't know how the other half live? Or maybe they just don't have any taste at all.

Camilla's son, Tom Parker-Bowles is an excellent food critic and writer. I'd love to know what he thinks of this. But he'll probably not be allowed to comment. (Husband says Tom'll have to maintain diplomatic silence. LOL!)
Westi
KG Regular

Could be OK I suppose, but not really seasonal as local fresh broad beans aren't available yet, my tarragon is up but only mild flavour as still small, the winter spinach is finished & the summer not started. I think a really strong cheddar will be needed to lift it as it seems a bit bland & maybe Chervil would be a better herb to give it a bite?

Let's just say I won't be making it, but I do like putting double podded broad beans in quiche for the brilliant pop of colour.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I suspect this was chosen with more than a passing nod to the environmentalists and vegetarians, but it's a little ordinary, isn't it?
At least the last Coronation gave us Coronation Chicken, which because it was so soon after the end of the war and we were still in austerity mode, anything with a "curry" element was still very unusual and felt quite exotic.

I suspect many keen cooks will be somewhat disappointed and the professionals will perhaps find it hard to charge eye watering prices for this recipe in their restaurants, Yes, probably a nice meal with fresh beans and some really strong cheddar cheese, but hardly that special1
Stravaig
KG Regular

Having said that I could come up with something better, maybe I should do so! :lol: You can join in for fun too. The rules are a) it shouldn't be expensive and b) it should be easy to make. (Also good if it doesn't require a load of fuel to make it.)
Stravaig
KG Regular

Felicity Cloake had a go at making it.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/a ... ion-quiche

Meh. I note that she says the veg are "seasonal". Westi? :lol:

I agree, it is odd that they use lard in their pastry - a lot of people are vegetarians and even if they're not they don't eat pork. It's an odd recipe right enough.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"I agree, it is odd that they use lard in their pastry - a lot of people are vegetarians and even if they're not they don't eat pork. It's an odd recipe right enough."

Never knew lard was pig fat...You learn something every day.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Colin, lard is usually rendered down pig fat but it doesn't have to be. In Britain we usually call the pork version "lard" and the beef version "dripping".

Dunno why.

Of course you can render down the fat of any animal that's got fat on it.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I love Fish & chips cooked in dripping.

I remember saving dripping(any fat) left of from cooking in a dish then turning it upside down and use the bottom scaping on bread.

Healthy eating in them days.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, roast duck dripping with that lovely brown juice residue at the bottom is to die for on toast. We still fight for it at breakfast, A sharp knife marks out the portions and woe betide anybody who takes more than their fair share!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That made me laugh, Primrose….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

When I cook bacon in a frying pan I always save the fat for cooking something else later, eg boiled sliced potatoes, mushrooms, steak, whatever.
Primrose
KG Regular

Stravaig
I think you would become our cookery advisor on the forum, In youe years of professional cooking you must have learnt so many useful and money saving hints for cooking what people have grown that your knowledge would be valuable.

So much food is often wasted with leftovers. A skilled chef will have imaginative ways of dealing with them which are not beyond the skills of unskilled cooks. Perhaps you should contemplate posting a few of your ideas in the Harvesting/cookery segment of the forum?
Stravaig
KG Regular

Oops. Dunno what happened there. I was half-way through witing a reply and it disappeared. Must've hit the wrong button and closed the tab.

Primrose, I was saying that I'd very much like a foodie role on the forum. I like to cook and to feed people. :D I don't have a lot of years of commercial kitchen experience. I went to college for a year to train as a chef after I retired . Then I did some work experience and also had a part-time job at a social club. When we're overseas I like to keep my hand in by helping local restaurant chefs. That sort of thing. My speciality is Thai cooking but I can do several other cuisines.
Primrose
KG Regular

Don't knock yourself Straivaig! As we,re essentially a vegetable growing forum, I,m sure there are all kinds of recipes you could suggest featuring these which would be interesting to try, no matter where they originate from.
Primrose
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:39 pm Stravaig
I think you hold become our cookery advisor on the forum, In youe years of professional cooking you must have learnt so many useful and money saving hints for cooking what people have grown that your knowledge would be valuable.

So much food is often wasted with leftovers. A skilled chef will have imaginative ways of dealing with them which are not beyond the skills of unskilled cooks. Perhaps you should contemplate posting a few of your ideas in the Harvesting/cookery segment of the forum?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic