Chicken manure.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was just wondering what happens to the manure out of the poultry houses, when the poultry has had Avian bird flu! Had a very quick look but, couldn’t find an answer….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Let's hope it doesn't end up in the garden centres for sale!!
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I found something from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, that says the virus was found to survive up to 8 weeks in dry & wet faeces at 4C. But whose going to get close enough to check the temp or what the survival rate is at other temps? I suspect from this that when they cull the birds they probably dig out all the manure & burns it with culled fowl.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s what I was hoping, Westi, but couldn’t find a definitive answer, so thank you for looking.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Wish some of the farmers were still on the forum as they would have got the full information from the government direct!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

It's quite worrying to think about some of these issues because I suspect with so many cost pressures these days I suspect many of these processors will be very tempted to cut corners with devastating effects further down the food chain.
Afraid I'm enough of a realist to believe it's almost certain to happen and sooner or later we'll be reading of some unfortunate happenings in the press.

I suspect relying on your own supervised compost supply will soon be the only way of ensuring you have untainted crops. We've been there with tainted manure in the past.

I believe our County Council has a high heat processing depot for all green bin material which is subsequently sold to the public as compost but I've no idea how efficient it is at eliminating any toxins or infections which may have been contained in the material.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic