Long awaited Spring Bits and Bobs…

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

It is nice to see things finally responding & growing, even though we've had nice weather for a bit I think they were in shock & sat still to acclimatise to the sunny warmth. My cabbages haven't been happy since they went in, but hopefully will take their cue from the other brassica's which have really responded well & this scenario is pretty much repeated with the other crops, some really happy & some at a stand still, healthy looking but on strike! Maybe they will take a hint from the weeds, no stopping them!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

My tomatoes on strike have accepted the temperature raise offer and are now showing signs of vigorous growth!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have been eating my broad beans now, they are lovely and my runner beans are just beginning to break cover whilst I notice some other locals have them already growing half-way up their sticks. Sowed some topweight carrot seeds, as OH mentioned they are an Australian variety and are very popular down there. Am still getting bothered by pheasants dusting themselves amongst my seeds so have enclosed the area in some old electric sheep netting to deter them. I love all the spring blossoms especially apple blossom but it's a shame apple blossom is so short lived.

Best wishes

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Barney, first picking of Broad beans today and really looking forward to them. I wonder if the Australian carrots will try heading home…might take a bit of pulling out if so.🙂
The Hawthorn blossom is also stunning this year….
Really excited this morning, as i’m sure i’ve got a Hedgehog with newly borns is a nest….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Another 'W' day! Water & Weeding'! But there is light at the end of the tunnel, or rather the mesh. Only the Chinese bed & the flower bed outside the 2nd plot to weed but it's only half size. Checking on my beans I found the direct sown 2nd frame ones are starting to pop up but not one French bean & when I had a squirrel around not one single seed found. I re-sowed & should have netted them but no time today so I expect I will be sowing again tomorrow!

OH that is indeed very exciting, get the camera out when they emerge & send us a pic. They are just so cute!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I was out fishing the Mersey yesterday turned into a cold windy day so we had to stay inshore usually this time of year with the forecast predicted we normally go off shore there was only 2 of us on my boat we normally have 3 but our mate couldn’t make it as his wife had fallen and broke her leg ( bloody women ) ,we new there was a display in the river as it was advertised enough on radio Merseyside they even said there would be a flyby it was all over the battle of the Atlantic I think we were fishing round the corner from the river out of the Wirral coast not far from the shore when we heard the engines roaring the fly bye was to far away from us to get a picture but it was a Lancaster bomber with a spitfire on each wing what a picture it would have been there’s a tale to the afternoon flyby if anyone is interested
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Had a rummage about this morning….the hedgehog has made a big ball shaped nest out of old Wisteria leaves…this is under a Wisteria that I keep pruned as a large shrub….she is definitely in there, as there was lots of grunting noises coming out, although I couldn’t actually see her or the little ones…will be keeping a close open for them coming out.

We always like a good tale, Robo….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Up ultra early today as something going on with the foxes in the school behind causing a bit of drama got me up. Saw nothing but as awake thought I get down early to the plot! No one down & as I was solo I hogged the hose & everything got a proper water! Radio on & singing along as well which the neighbours would be grateful not to hear! :)

So I mulched as much as possible! Mainly because I am sick of weeding constantly, but also no rain in the forecast. Fortunately I had some Strulch (currently good deals) & the rest of the strawberries & runners benefitted from that & the guy that mows the blocks of flats dropped me off some lawn clippings. On the whole it would be regarded as not much done from a peek over the fence but I did loads!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

This weather could turn us into alcoholics. We only usually have a drink at weekends even though we've been retired for years but this evening was so nice we just had to sit outside with a bottle. The midges have just driven us in before the temperature!
Clive.
KG Regular

Meanwhile, out East here the wind is coming off the N. Sea, it's been grey skies, with drizzle to start the day. Blooming cold, woolly hat back on...

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic