Long awaited Spring Bits and Bobs…

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Me neither, Burnie….yuk….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

See the planes are busy up your way, Clive….but maybe you’re not interested…😀

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I am slowly catching up with my planting this year but guess it is too late for parsnips. My early sown leeks are rather poor and my recently planted onion sets keep getting dislodged and scattered around by some pheasants that like to dust themselves in the fine tilth. I have planted my runner bean seeds and a row of peas. I always soak my peas in paraffin before sowing to prevent any mice eating them but forgot this year. I haven't sown anything else outside but at least my potatoes are well advanced and my October sown broad beans have nice pods forming, I was eating broad beans this time last year.

I'm sorry to read that allotment rents have increased, such a shame, I always admire allotment holders and like to visit different sites when I travel anywhere and enjoy seeing the ingenuity that people use to grow vegetables.

All the best

Barney
Clive.
KG Regular

Old H'...I'm watching at the moment online via adsb ...you nearly had a visit from the Lancaster again tonight, passed about 4miles NW..

The former RAF Spilsby, a couple miles East, is due a flypast and then on to former RAF East Kirkby.
So I may well be out in the back garden ;)

It was the building of RAF Spilsby that nearly caused my work location to be demolished during wartime.

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Barney, hope you are keeping well!
I haven’t sown my Parsnip seed yet…I now always leave it until the ground has warmed up, and this seems to give a lot better germination and the Parsnips don’t seem any smaller, when harvested.
Deer are becoming the biggest problem on our allotments and they can do so much damage in one night…

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Enjoy your evening then, Clive….🙂

Clive.
KG Regular

...best bit is that I hadn't seen the flypast schedule and it was a work colleague who tipped me the wink..
C.
Westi
KG Regular

They are very active & very hungry this year & have caught me out with protection. I usually use Sluggo organic pellets which works well & I've had the current box for 3 yrs so good value as well & box is quite small. They dehydrate the slimy things so they die underground so you don't really see the results, but forgot to throw a few down so on 2nd sow of cabbages. The other good bought product is Grazers Slug & snail, a bit more expensive but lasts well also & really effective in deterring them when the plant has bigger leaves. Being in an Anorak type of mood I rounded up some slimy things after I had sprayed last years excellent crop of Savoys. They legged it, or should I say slimed it out of there!
Westi
Cider Boys
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:15 pm Evening Barney, hope you are keeping well!
I haven’t sown my Parsnip seed yet…I now always leave it until the ground has warmed up, and this seems to give a lot better germination and the Parsnips don’t seem any smaller, when harvested.
Deer are becoming the biggest problem on our allotments and they can do so much damage in one night…
I am well thank you OH, hope that you are also keeping well. I've now rotavated up some more ground and will take your good advice and sow some parsnip seeds. Hope that you have been able to trap your troublesome moles, my land is a light red sandstone loam and the moles burrow very deep so I mostly use tunnel traps rather than scissor traps. It's a shame there seems to be no other way to deter moles other than by trapping, as for deer, there are many deer about in recent years and deer fencing is just that 'very dear'.

Best wishes

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Al well here thank you, Barney….
The moles seem to just keep coming and they are getting harder to catch…keep back filling the traps, how ever I set them!
Been a lovely day here, so planted out some marrow and courgette plants, after I had finished work….

Geoff
KG Regular

I had a mole merrily working up a row of peas that needed pushing back into the ground but a couple of days ago it made a very visible run across the path between the two rows so I popped in a scissor trap. This morning found it triggered but the mole was still moving so I had to drown it. Perhaps the peas can settle down to growing now while I try and find a clear run for the one wandering round the greenhouse (slightly elevated with concrete paths all round!).
Westi
KG Regular

Today was weed day - again! The bindweed seems to be growing near a foot a day & trying to strangle all roses & flowers in the outside fence bed. Fortunately I really like digging it up & ended with a huge ball when I raked it all up. Unfortunately no records broken getting the longest root as them roses bite!

Then I took the risk & planted out the squash & pumpkins that were outgrowing their already large pots & on the outside staging. The courgettes are out already & doing fine & I have some smaller plants to go out when a bit bigger. The first task on Saturday when I go down again is to fence that bed as ran out of time & the dog has these manic happy run arounds when plotters stop by to say Hi which they all seem to do when the dog is down! Hmm? She is pretty though but truly should be blond!
qusn0ta2Q72Tr9CwWoBOXw.jpg
qusn0ta2Q72Tr9CwWoBOXw.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3662 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

She is gorgeous, Westi….🙂

Westi
KG Regular

Shopping day today so didn't go down to the plot but growing still on my mind, so bought some herbs in pots for the kitchen windowsill. I had to go to Aldi as the other local supermarkets have swapped to those pillow packs; they aren't first class but will be fine. When they settle & grow a bit I will split them & put some on the plot & share them around with the neighbours. 75p as well which is also cheaper than some of the pillow packs!

The actual shopping bit continues to give me the vapours at the till - things are going up weekly not monthly! No eggs but £2+ for 1/2 doz where I looked. Luckily the corner shop had some though & cheaper! I appreciate this is related to bird flu culls, feed prices rising & Ukraine but you do begin to wonder if things are ever going to be affordable again as we can't sustain increases as these rates.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

That's more like it! Planted / moved out of tunnel all my wife's patio tubs ready for her birthday bash on Sunday.
Screenshot 2023-05-19 194533.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-19 194533.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic